You know my love for gourds runs deep. Their versatility continues to amaze me, which is why I especially love spaghetti squash. In the past couple of years, I’ve found that spaghetti squash is cooler, easier to make, and more delicious than I ever thought! Last week I talked about how it can be a great alternative to pasta in a TV segment that was all about how to refresh your routine in 2018. That got me thinking about how I wanted to refresh this recipe for my spaghetti squash pad thai. It’s super easy to make, nutritious and can totally be customized if you want it meatless, or not.
Instead of the peanut pad thai sauce you often come across at restaurants, I changed it up with almond butter, and it honestly tasted amazing! It can be eaten literally out of the squash (that’s my preferred way to eat it!), which means no dishes after dinner. It’s a one stop shop for flavor, colors, nutrients, protein, fiber, healthy carbs, and a little kick.
I loved the way this Asian squash “boat” came out, and I know you will too!
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 cup snow peas
- 5-6 baby carrots, grated
- 8-10 mini red, yellow & orange peppers, julienned into thin strips
- 1 egg, scrambled
- 1 lime, quartered
- 2 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 generous tbsp. of almond butter
- 1 tbsp. grated, fresh, ginger
- 1 tbsp. red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut through spaghetti squash lengthwise and scoop out all of the seeds. Coat with olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast face up for 35-40 minutes, and let cool for 30 minutes before scraping spaghetti out with a fork.
- Meanwhile, prepare veggies and sauce. Sautee snow peas and peppers. Combine soy sauce, olive oil, almond butter, vinegar, ginger and red pepper into a small bowl. Whisk until combined. Use a fork to loosen the spaghetti squash, and remove from skin. In a large bowl, combine spaghetti squash, sauce and veggies. Mix until combined, and scoop back into squash skin. Grate fresh carrot on top. Scramble the egg and put it on top of everything Garnish with the lime and enjoy!