This post was sponsored by Path of Life. My go-to for healthy weeknight meals that are ready in minutes and made with real, wholesome ingredients.
Soup weather. Chicago has not had much of it yet. During September there was a stretch of a couple of weeks that were extremely sunny, and hot, and I was all like ” I’m over this”! But I will say it has been nice to not pull out the big jackets just yet, and just enjoy the cool breeze and the unseasonably warm temps. So unheard of for this time of year in Chicago!
So while the temperature outside doesn’t quite resemble the true fall I am used to here in Chicago, that doesn’t stop me from making my favorite vegetable into soup–pumpkin soup!
There’s nothing nicer to warm up with on a chilly fall day than a bowl of pumpkin soup, and this one is especially amazing because it’s truly a wealth of nutrients in a bowl. Made with turmeric, an anti-inflammatory spice that is well known for its antioxidant power, this soup marries fall flavors in a healthy way. You’ll be getting plenty of fiber from the pumpkin and quinoa–add that to the extra protein from Path of Life’s Organic Quinoa and Brown Rice mix, and you’ve got yourself a hearty lunch, or a perfect pairing for dinner.
I love making this quinoa and brown rice mix the base of meals because it cooks in less than 5 minutes, has the protein I want, especially if I’m not adding meat or fish, and tastes great combined with other vegetables and by itself. The mix contains exactly what I would put into it if I was making it at home–simply garlic, olive oil, and sea salt. Really, the possibilities are endless, which is why I knew it would be perfect in my pumpkin soup too!
I used homemade pumpkin puree in this recipe when I made it for the first time (you can find my guide to making your own pumpkin puree here!), but you can also use store bought canned pumpkin. Soup is such a perfect staple to have on hand this time of year, and can really be a great vehicle for getting more vegetables into your diet. This recipe warmed me up from the inside out, and I hope it will do the same for you!
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 cups chicken broth ( I used one from Trader Joe's)
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- 1 package Path of Life Organic Quinoa & Brown Rice Mix
- 1 tbsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. ginger, fresh or ground
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, saute garlic with olive oil until fragrant. Add broth, and pumpkin, increasing the heat. Stir in evaporated milk, turmeric, ginger, pumpkin pie spice and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let soup continue to simmer. In the meantime, follow package instructions for making the quinoa and brown rice mixture in the microwave. Once complete, open the package and slowly stir it into the soup on the stove.
- Laddle soup into bowls. Garnish with freshly ground black pepper, Parmesan cheese, and peptias.