Too many times in my life have I grilled chicken only for it to turn into the toughest, least appetizing piece of meat ever. That is not the case with these pumpkin seed crusted chicken tenders! While I do eat chicken pretty regularly, I will say at times I opt for other proteins like salmon or quinoa, simply because it’s easier to make really quick. This chicken recipe though, it’s a game changer for me. I’ve already had it twice since I made it and am obsessed by how totally un-dry, and crunchy from the pumpkin seeds and cracker crust the whole thing comes out to be!
Another new obsession that goes along with these? This dressing —-> Primal Kitchen – Honey Mustard, Avocado Oil-Based Dressing and Marinade, Whole30 and Paleo Approved (8 oz) (affiliate link!)! When I was shopping for everything to make these chicken tenders at Whole Foods I had a hankering for honey mustard. It was as if I got a whiff of that thick honey mustard dressing I used to eat as a kid. You know the kind you would get at fast-food places to dip your chicken nuggets into? Fast-forward 15 years later, and I’ll opt for this version that’s made with super simple ingredients and none of those scary oils we didn’t know were bad back then!
If you do in fact make this recipe, do yourself a favor and get a really good, minimally processed dressing like this one. I promise it’s the grown-up-better-for-you-honey mustard you always wanted but never knew you needed!
To get these chicken tenders crispy, I used these Simple Mills Almond Flour Crackers, Sundried Tomato/Basil, 4.25 Ounce (affiliate link), and later went on to make this recipe again with the farmhouse cheddar flavors…both were great!
If you follow me on Instagram, than you know that I put pumpkin seeds on literally everything and love it. Oatmeal? Yes. Salads? Yup. Muffins? Yaaas. Salmon? Hell yes! And now chicken joins this pumpkin party. You’ll love the crunch from combo of the seeds and crackers, and the chicken will be super juicy because it’s baked not grilled and robbed of moisture!
Bite into these juicy baked pumpkin seed and cracker crusted chicken tenders and prepare to be transported back in time to when you were a kid eating restaurant-style chicken tenders. Except this is the grown-up, way better for you, baked version! Pumpkin seeds add more protein, fiber and nutrients to every bite of this crunchy and delicious meal. Top your salads with them or dip in honey mustard dressing!
- 1lb package boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 3/4 cup Simple Mills tomato basil or cheddar crackers
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 3/4 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Empty crackers into a plastic bag (I used the ones you get fruit in at the grocery store). Smash up crackers with the back of a spoon (a Vitamix tamper works well too!) until made into small pieces.
- On a cutting board, finely chop pumpkin seeds into small pieces. Combine with salt, pepper, paprika and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs together and add honey.
- Remove chicken from package and cut into smaller “tender” sized like pieces.
- Dip into egg and honey mixture and then into seed cracker mix. Coating chicken completely.
- Bake for 30 minutes and enjoy!
Pin this pumpkin seed crusted chicken!