I don’t know about you, but I spend more time thinking about the food I want to eat (and the halftime show) during the Super Bowl than the actual game itself. With Chicago football giving us little to cheer for for as long as I can remember, I root for the food all the way! What I’m not cheering for is the fact that Super Bowl Sunday nearly surpasses Thanksgiving when it comes to calories consumed. Between the appetizers and all the other “dinner” food, plus the drinks you might be having, things can add up fast.
I’m not saying you have to sit on the sidelines when everyone else is snagging mozzarella sticks and cheers-ing with hot wings, but you might want to have a game plan when heading to a big game party to prevent from feeling overwhelmed with food choices. What do I mean big game plan? Steer clear from heavy dips (things like sour cream and onion, and nachos), instead choose ones like salsa, which is relatively low in calories or guacamole which is high in healthy fat that will help to make you feel fuller. Other red flags include anything fried, monster meatball subs and margaritas made from premade mixes (these often pack a ton of extra sugar and calories!).
So what are some sensible choices when it comes to game day eats? I’ve rounded up some of my favorites here including a recipe for fiesta steak bruschetta made in partnership with Pre Brands. Pre Brands is a Chicago-based fresh food startup focused on bringing consumers the world’s very best beef. They partnered with me for the segment below, but all opinions are my own! I’ve made recipes, including this pumpkin pot roast, with their meats in the past and continue to enjoy their versatility, delicious taste and real nutritional difference. I also love that they’re Chicago-based, so a hometown favorite for me! Even better, as of just this month, Pre is now available at select Jewel-Osco locations – another Chicago staple! That means it’s even easier for me to get my hands on my go-to steaks and ground beef. So excited!
You can check out more recipes and find the closest place to purchase at eatpre.com. Read on to find out more about what makes Pre unique in the meat category, and where you can score some before this weekend’s big game!
5 Fan Favorite Game Day Appetizers with a Healthy Spin
- Lightened Up Buffalo Dip- Buffalo dip is typically loaded with calories from sour cream and cream cheese. You don’t need all of that! Instead, I swapped siggi’s 0% plain greek yogurt for the sour cream for added protein and nearly half of the calories. You can still use your favorite recipe, but making this little change in ingredients will make a huge difference in its nutrition. Bonus that some hot sauces have no calories! My brand of choice Frank’s Red Hot, which comes in a a whopping zero calories, so add that in and you’re not missing out on flavor. Use this dip as a vehicle for more veggies, and pair it with carrot, and celery sticks or sprouted chips.
- Spicy Sweet Potato Skins – Swap regular potatoes for sweet to add more nutrition to your appetizer line up! Stuffed with spinach, chicken and cheese these are sure to be a fan favorite! The combination of sweet from the potato and spicy from the added paprika and other spices complement each other so well you won’t even know you’re eating a vegetable.
- Mac & Cheese Muffins – Some things are just better just the way they are. Don’t you agree? What I like about this recipe is that it doesn’t skimp on the mac or cheese, but rather makes it a sensible portion by baking them in a muffin tin. It’s especially great when you’re faced with a thousand appetizers at the party and don’t want to over do it.
- Strawberry Footballs – No matter who you are rooting for, I think we can all agree on chocolate! These are super cute, and no super bowl party is complete without them! Simply dip the biggest and best looking strawberries you can find into melted chocolate (double-broiled method works best!) and once they’e cooled add the football laces and lines with white frosting or white chocolate applied with a tooth pick.
- Fiesta Steak Bruschetta – This recipe combines the goodness of guacamole with juicy steak for a bite that’s not only satisfying, but delicious too! It’s the perfect thing to bring to a party you are going to or make for the one you are hosting because it’s easy to make and will look gorgeous on your table. For someone who was once intimidated by making meat in any way shape or form, Pre Brands makes it easy for me to simply pick out the cut of meat I’m looking for through their easy to identify packaging and then cook it to just the right amount of doneness I’m looking to have with the instructions written right on the back of the package. To be honest, I think a major hurdle for me when shopping for meat was not knowing one cut from another and being completely unaware about anything regarding the quality, practices, and standards of the meat itself.
- For this recipe, I simply seasoned the steak with salt and pepper, and seared it on each side for five minutes, then let it cool for five minutes before cutting it into strips to use on the bread. I would pair this steak with a refreshing Limeaid, since it pairs well with the fiesta flavors. If you have leftover ingredients and steak, toss them in eggs to make a fiesta scramble. And who doesn’t love steak and eggs?!
More about Pre Brands:
Aside from the ease of cooking, I choose Pre Brands because they are just as obsessed with the details of what makes the beef experience the best every time as I am with the type of food I want to make and serve to others! I’m not kidding when I say they call themselves “Beef Geeks” because they pride themselves on the highest quality standards for all of their products. That means all of their beef is sourced from nutrient-rich pastures, raised with care and 100% grass-fed and finished with no added antibiotics or hormones.
What is grass-finished, you ask? Grass-finished means that the beef comes from cattle that have been raised on a forage diet their entire life, not just for a period of time. While most cattle spend the majority of their lives on pastures eating grass before moving to a feedlot for grain-finishing, grass-finished beef cattle remain on a pasture and forage diet. Even as I dietitian, I wasn’t aware that when the package says “grass-fed” that doesn’t mean that was the case for the cattle’s entire life. This goes on to affect the nutritional makeup of the beef itself, something Pre Brands is passionate about.
Here’s a breakdown of how their meat is a nutritional “cut above” the rest:
- Compared to other beef, Pre contains:
- Up to 38% fewer Calories*
- Up to 63% less Fat*
- Higher Omega 3s
- Higher CLA’s
*vs. USDA choice version for the same cut of beef
All of their products are also Whole30 Approved, Certified Paleo and Keto and boast fewer calories, less fat and higher Omega-3’s and CLA’s than traditionally fed beef.
Find Pre Near You!
- I’m so excited that Pre is now available in at select Jewel-Osco locations in Chicago’s northern suburbs! To celebrate, the Beef Geeks from Pre will be doing demos at these stores all month and handing out coupons for great deals onsite. The full Jewel demo schedule will be posted on Pre Brands’ Facebook page. Be sure to check it out!
- For those downtown and in other parts of Chicago, you can find Pre at Mariano’s and other local independents. To find the store closest to you, use Pre Brands’ Store Locator at eatpre.com.
- Pre is available in individually packaged steaks (Ribeye, New York Strip, Top Sirloin and Filet Mignon), ground beef, hamburger patties and chuck roast, Pre products are sold in stores and online across the continental U.S.
So whether you have a team allegiance or a JT allegiance like me, I hope your Super Bowl party is filled with good eats! If you do make the fiesta steak bruschetta, I’d love to know! Share it on Instagram, and use the hashtag #onceuponapumpkin and #eatpre!
Pin the Fiesta Steak Bruschetta!