The crisp-sweet taste of pears complement the moist and spicy flavors of pumpkin and ginger to create these delicious gluten free pumpkin pear & ginger muffins! Spread some peanut butter, pumpkin spice almond butter, or plain old butter on top for a great breakfast in the fall or all year-round!
Never baked with pears before? It’s easy! When you start to see that they are getting a little overripe. But wait. Let’s rewind that. How do you when a pair is ripe in the first place? It’s easy, simply check the neck! Hold the pear in the palm of your hand and place your thumb on its neck, press down and if it gives a little they you know it’s ready to eat! The pears I used for this recipe for gluten-free pumpkin pear muffins were both at this point of ripeness.
Pears are nutrient-dense and an excellent source of fiber. One medium pear provides 6 grams of fiber, which is about 24% of the Daily Value, and can help you feel satisfied longer between meals and snacks. “Pear” that with the nearly 7 grams of fiber found in canned pumpkin and you’ve got yourself a high-fiber muffin!
I love the little chunks of baked pear found throughout each and every muffin and the tartness found in every single bite. You can even add chopped walnuts, or pecans to the mix for an added crunch.
Check out one of my favorite salads with pear and butternut squash here!
- 2 ripe pears, peeled and diced ( I used Bartlett pears)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons candied ginger, diced
- 1½ cups gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Grease muffin tin with coconut oil, butter, or baking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together pears, brown sugar, spices, and candied ginger.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, mix in remaining ingredients.
- Pour into prepared muffin tins and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, invert muffin tin over wire rack and remove muffins from baking tin.
- Let cool completely and enjoy!