Reap the benefits of collagen with these naturally sweetened, gluten and dairy free dark chocolate & blackberry collagen shortbread bars! When I first used this flavor of Vital Proteins, I knew it was too good not to bake up in a special dessert! I often put collagen in my baked goods to give them that extra boost of protein and collagen peptides! You can read more about how and why I incorporate collagen into my daily routine here.
This flavor of Vital Proteins collagen is a new one on my radar, and lately, I’ve been mixing it with a 1 cup of almond milk, some fresh blackberries if I have them, and a handful of greens. I drink it after a workout and it feels like I’m having a fun treat, while getting the protein I need to refuel my body, and the collagen I need to replenish my skin! These dark chocolate & blackberry collagen shortbread bars feel like that too with their crispy crumble on top! Since they are only sweetened with maple syrup and fresh blackberries, you can feel good about having them around as treats!
You can grab your own tube of this Dark Chocolate & Blackberry collagen here on my Amazon list, and be sure to check out some of my other Vital Proteins like their original collagen, and matcha collagen!
The almond flour and coconut flour come together to create a shortbread like you’ve never had before. Traditional shortbread uses butter, which I’m all for (especially grass-fed), but here coconut oil makes the perfect substitute. Blackberries all on sale all over my grocery stores right, now and I just love these juicy, tart berries in every way, shape and form. They’re a great source of vitamin C, fiber and lots of antioxidants.
They were so, so good that I’m already planning my pumpkin version of them for this fall! If you’re itching for something pumpkin, that is just as good as these, check out my recipe for pumpkin flour blondies!Print
Reap the benefits of collagen and the goodness of blackberries in this recipe that will be your new shortbread obsession! Crispy, crumbly with a juicy tartness, these bars are a great gluten free and low sugar dessert.
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- splash of vanilla
- 2½ cups almond flour
- couple pinches of sea salt
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Dark Chocolate & Blackberry Collagen
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix together the coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, almond flour, and sea salt in a large bowl.
- Put about ⅔ of the crumble into a square baking pan lined with parchment paper and press it into the corners to make an even layer.
- Bake for about 13 minutes until the edges begin to get golden brown.
- Begin to mash the blackberries with the back of a folk, leaving chunks of intact berry.
- Mix collagen into blackberries.
- Spread blackberry collagen mixture on top of the baked bottom layer.
- Crumble the remaining crumble on top of the blackberry and collagen mix.
- Bake for another 10 minutes until the top crumbles are golden brown.
- Allow the bars to come to room temperature.
- Pull the edges of the parchment paper to lift them from the pan, cut into small squares and enjoy
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase, I receive a small part of the sale. Thanks for your support!