Add pumpkin to your thanksgiving table in more ways than just the pie with this recipe for gluten-free pumpkin stuffing! It’s easy to make and a sure crowd pleaser with all the fall flavors. Simple Mills’ Artisan bread Mix add nutrition to this side dish the whole family will love!
- 1 package Simple Mills Artisan Bread Mix
- 2 cups chicken broth, bone broth or water
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup butternut squash, cubed and roasted (optional)*
- 2 stalks celery, sliced or diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium-sized apple, diced
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare artisan bread according to package instructions for a loaf.** Add 1/2 cup pumpkin puree and combine well into batter.
- Bake and leave bread out overnight to dry out.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cut the loaf of bread into small (about 1-inch) cubes. Spread out on a baking sheet. Bake 50-60 minutes or until completely dried out.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 2 quart (or 8×8″) baking dish.
- Heat butter in a medium pan over medium heat. Add celery, onion and apple and sauté 7-10 minutes, or until very tender. Sprinkle with fresh herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Add dried bread cubes to a large bowl. Pour broth over bread cubes, working carefully not to smash the bread. When much of the broth has been absorbed, stir in sautéed veggie mixture.
- Gently pour mixture out into your prepared pan and shake to distribute evenly.
- Bake 375 degrees for about 60 minutes. Bread will darken a bit and it should look as if all of the liquid has been absorbed.
*Roast butternut squash ahead of time or opt for frozen that you can microwave when preparing the rest.
**For optimal results prepare the bread a day in advance so that it has time to dry out overnight.