Start any holiday get together in a healthy way with these smoked salmon crostini’s with delicata squash butter! Get the best of both worlds with the taste of sweet and salty and reap the benefits of salmon in an easy to make appetizer!
1 delicata squash, washed, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and seeded
1 French baguette
6 oz. smoked salmon
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
2 tbsp. maple syrup
2 tbsp. capers
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. turmeric
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper to taste
For the delicata squash butter:
- Pre-heat oven to 415 degrees F.
- Toss delicata squash with 2 tbsp olive oil, maple syrup, salt, pepper, and turmeric. Roast for approximately 17 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes and add delicata squash and garlic to a food processor. Pulse and add in remaining olive oil.
- Mixture should be smooth and combined.
To assemble the crostini:
- Preheat the oven to 300 degree F.
- Cut the bread into pieces about 2 inches thick and place on a baking sheet to warm in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove and spoon about 1 tbsp. of squash butter on top.
- Add small pieces of salmon on top of each, then sprinkle pomegranate seeds, pumpkin seeds and capers spontaneously across the top of each.
- Serve and enjoy!
* I left the skin on the delicata squash which made it come out a little grainy. I didn’t mind this texture, but remove if you want butter to be completely smooth.