Chocolate bark apples are chocolate dipped apple slices topped with pomegranate seeds, pumpkin seeds and shredded coconut for a nutritious treat that’s crunchy, tart and sweet!
Chocolate Dipped Apple Slices with Pomegranate Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds & Shredded Coconut
Colorful, festive, and delicious, chocolate bark apples are a nutritious treat that’s great for the holiday season and beyond! Made with just 5 simple ingredients, they’re crunchy, sweet and nutritious. Not to mention they’re gorgeous!
Easy to make in less than 10 minutes, I love the different textures from the apple, pomegranate seeds, pumpkin seeds, chocolate and coconut flakes that comes together to make these a really crunchy & satisfying snack.
With over 2 million (!!) views on Instagram, they’re a great option when you’re looking for something to satisfy your sweet tooth that still contains beneficial nutrition and is not overly sweet. They’d also be great to bring to a get together for the holiday season as a nice change from typical holiday treats.
I’m betting you already have most of the ingredient in your pantry, so let’s make chocolate bark apples!
Ingredients for Chocolate Bark Apples
Apples — I used honey crisp apples for this recipe — they’re crunchy sweetness is the perfect complement to the other flavors and textures. Apples are a good source of vitamin C, fiber and antioxidants.
Dark Chocolate — I melted Lily’s dark chocolate baking chips in this recipe but any of your favorite dark chocolate would work.
Pomegranate Seeds — Pomegranate seeds give these chocolate bark apples a pop of color and an antioxidant boost. They’re in season in the winter and also a great source of vitamin C and fiber.
Pumpkin Seeds — Pumpkin seeds add crunch and nutrition to every bite of these apples. They’re a good source of plant-based protein, fiber and healthy fat.
Unsweetened Shredded Coconut Flakes — Unsweetened shredded coconut flakes give these chocolate bark apples more texture and flavor.
Equipment / utensils:
- cutting board (these are my favorite)
- small bowl
- parchment paper
How to Cut Apples into Rounds
With the apple sitting upright (so its little apple bottom is sitting on the cutting board), you’re going to start cutting thin slices down the side ensuring that they’re not super flimsy. You should get 4-5 thinly sliced apples depending on how big your apple is.
Get as many slices as you can from one side, turn the apple around to the other side and repeat to get thin slices. You’re going to be left with some apple on the core left of the sides. Slice up and enjoy while you’re make these or dip those in chocolate too!
How to Prevent Apples from Browning
These chocolate covered apple slices are best when enjoyed shortly after making them however if you want to make them slightly in advance, I recommend placing the apple slices in a small bowl of cold water with lemon juice (about 1/2 of a lemon) to help prevent browning. Pat dry with paper towel before dipping in melted chocolate.
Note, I have not tried freezing these.
Assembling the Chocolate Dipped Apple Slices
- Cut the apples into rounds aka thin slices.
- Melt the chocolate and dip half of the apple into the chocolate.
- Place apple onto parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, pumpkin seeds and coconut flakes.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes until the chocolate has hardened.
Chocolate Dipped Apple Slices
- 1 cutting board
- 1 knife
- 1 small bowl
- 1 sheet of parchment paper
- 2-3 honey crisp apples thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips melted
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- Wash, dry and thinly slice the apples.
- In a small bowl melt the chocolate in the microwave in increments of 15 seconds stirring in between until the chocolate is melted.
- Dip apple slices in the melted chocolate so that half of the slice is covered in chocolate. Place on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds, pumpkin seeds and coconut flakes on top.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until the chocolate had hardened. Enjoy!
More nutritious treats & apple recipes you’re sure to love: