Enjoy this chocolate pumpkin avocado bread that’s a good source of fiber and delicious for the season! Made with simple ingredients including whole-wheat flour, cocoa powder, pumpkin puree, avocado, and fall spices.
This time of year I’m all about fun, seasonal baked goods and pumpkin bread is one that is just so quintessential fall in my book. I love coming up with new combinations that capture the flavor of pumpkin and warm spices, and this chocolate pumpkin avocado bread might just be my new favorite!
Avocado and pumpkin are a power pairing for fall that make this recipe extra moist, nutritious, and with reduced added sugars. Lightly sweetened with a nice spiced and chocolate flavor thanks to cocoa powder. Pureed avocado replaces the fat in this recipe and if you’re weary about baking with avocado, you can feel good knowing it adds more nutrition to every bite.
As a dietitian I’m really passionate about adding more nutrition to our diets instead of removing foods or food groups. That’s one of the reasons avocados are always on my grocery list! Sliced, diced, mashed, or pureed, there are so many ways to incorporate avocados into meals and snacks that help you add more good fats and fiber to your diet in a delicious way without adding sugar, cholesterol or sodium.
I’m excited to team up with Avocados – Love One Today® to give you a chance to win 1 of 6 $500 visa® e-gift cards. Subscribe to Love One Today’s newsletter and enter the Fall Sweepstakes at LoveOneToday.com/avocadoandpumpkin today. Good luck!
Here are a few additional nutritional highlights about pumpkin and avocado :
- A third of a medium avocado contains 6 grams of good fats which can act as an immune system booster by helping increase the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K.
- A 1 cup serving of pumpkin is a good source of vitamin E, and an excellent source of vitamin A. Vitamin A is critical for vision and is involved in immune function.
- Avocados contain 250 mg of potassium (6% DV) per serving.
Chocolate Pumpkin Avocado Bread
- 1 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 ripe, fresh medium avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and mashed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup dates, pureed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9X13 inch bread pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, pumpkin spice, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- With a hand mixer beat together the pumpkin puree, mashed avocado, maple syrup, pureed dates, eggs and vanilla exrtact.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine using a wooden spoon or spatula until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle dark chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let the bread cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring onto a cooling rack. Slice into approximately 9 slices that are 1 1/2 inch thick and enjoy!
This recipe was created in partnership with the Avocados – Love One Today®. As always all of my opinions are my own and I appreciate your support!
More Pumpkin Bread Recipes You’re Sure to Love:
Pin this recipe for later!