Lemon dill salmon cakes made simply with canned salmon, spices, herbs and hummus make for a delicious protein-packed lunch that’s dairy free and can be make gluten free.
Canned salmon is such a great high-protein pantry staple that’s inexpensive and lasts for a while. I always have some on hand to throw in a salad, or simply eat with crackers. I recommend opting for wild-caught boneless sockyeye canned salmon when possible.
My love affair with this hummus (yes, it’s that serious!) started when I lived in New York City and would buy it at Whole Foods every time I went grocery shopping. At that time and now still it was honestly the best hummus I’ve ever had. The texture was unlike any other — whipped, with a fluffy-like texture and an amazing super smooth taste. YUM!
I even got Rob hooked on it when he would come to visit and remember thinking Ithaca Hummus was one of the only things I would miss about New York City ( I was a little salty and a lot homesick at the time!)
One of my favorite ways to eat it? A big dollop in the corner of my salads perfect for dipping bites into! As far as flavors, you can’t go wrong with any of the hummus flavors!
I used the lemon dill in this salmon cakes recipe as I felt it worked the best, but honestly you could top them with any flavor you like! The Kalamata olive flavor is to die for and lemon beet is perfect for spring with its bright pink color.
In case you didn’t know, hummus is made from garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas) and contains healthy fat, plant-based protein and fiber.
What I especially like about Ithaca Hummus is that it’s made with just a few super high-quality ingredients like: chickpeas, cater, organic sunflower oil, cold pressed lemon juice, tahini, fresh garlic, vinegar, salt, dill, and crushed red pepper. Not all hummus out there can say the same and taste this delicious.
The perfect complement to crackers, carrots, celery, and now salmon cakes. Keep this recipe in your back pocket for when you need something quick, healthy and delicious! And be sure to catch me on Instagram for more fun and easy treat and meal ideas.
Ingredients for Lemon Dill Salmon Cakes
- canned salmon — I like to buy wild-caught sockeye canned salmon
- Lemon Dill Ithaca Hummus
- dijon mustard
- fresh lemon
- fresh dill
- fresh parsley
- panko bread crumbs — substitute gluten free breadcrumbs or flour as a gluten free option
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
equipment / utensils
- mixing bowl
- sauté pan
- fish spatula for flipping
Easy Lemon Dill Salmon Cakes
- 8 oz. canned salmon
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs toasted
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. Ithaca Lemon Dill Hummus + more for topping
- ½ tsp. dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Zest of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup fresh dill chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- In a small skillet over medium-low heat toast the panko breadcrumbs until lightly toasted. Being careful not to burn them.
- In a medium bowl combine the salmon, egg, toasted breadcrumbs, hummus, dijon mustard, turmeric, garlic power, lemon juice and zest, fresh dill and parsley and salt and pepper.
- Mix well using a wooden spoon, cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat with cooking spray. Pack a ¼ cup with the salmon mixture and portion it out directly onto the pan. Use a fish spatula to slightly press the salmon cake down and later to flip.
- Cook on each side for about 1 minute until flipping to the other side. Repeat with remaining salmon mixture.
- Top with extra lemon dill hummus, fresh dill, lemon juice and enjoy!
more salmon recipes you’re sure to love:
Pin this recipe for later