Fall chicken and rice bake is made with chicken, U.S.-grown long-grain brown rice, butternut squash, apples and mushrooms and makes for a delicious and simple cozy and nutritious meal that’s perfect for the season.
For the chicken:
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
For the rice:
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups hot chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups hot water
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 cups U.S.-grown long-grain brown rice
For the apple, butternut squash and mushrooms:
- 1 cup butternut squash, cubed
- 1 cup apple, peeled and cubed (about 2 small to medium apples)
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms (optional)
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- salt & pepper
- In a small bowl combine the seasonings for the chicken. Add the chicken thighs to the bowl and let marinade in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the meal. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the rice. In a small saucepan, heat the chicken broth and water for about 2-3 minutes. Lightly grease the baking dish and add the butter, olive oil, salt and pepper and shallot and garlic. Pour the hot water and broth over top and stir in the rice. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the rice is baking, cube your butternut squash and apple.
- After 30 minutes remove the rice from the oven, uncover, stir and and place the chicken, apples, and butternut squash on top of the rice and place back in the oven for an additional 25 minutes.
- While the chicken and rice is baking saute the mushrooms with the butter, salt and pepper and fresh parsley. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken and rice from the oven. Gently stir together around the chicken and stir in the mushrooms until everything is well combined. Sprinkle extra fresh parsley on top and enjoy!
Keywords: chicken rice bake