Pumpkin baked feta pasta is a delicious, seasonal twist on the viral TikTok baked feta pasta. Baked feta with garlic, shallot and sage mixed with pumpkin puree becomes the perfect pasta sauce that makes for a cozy and delicious fall meal.
I’m bringing this 2020 baked feta pasta trend that went viral on TikTok back but this time with a pumpkin twist for fall! Pumpkin feta pasta will be your new favorite way to enjoy a cozy pasta dish this fall. Every noodle is covered with a silky smooth pumpkin sauce that’s warm and cozy for the season!
Fall calls for warm meals on chilly nights and while I love a good pumpkin baked good, savory pumpkin meals like chilis, pasta bakes and soups get me just as excited! Not many other fruits or vegetables are as versatile as pumpkin is and that’s one of the reasons I love it in the fall and all year round.
Pumpkin Feta Pasta
Pumpkin is so good made into a pasta sauce which got me thinking — could I mix it into feta cheese for baked feta pasta?! If you’re reading this you know the answer is yes and I’m so excited that this feta cheese pasta recipe with pumpkin turned out even better than I imagined when I first set out to make it!
Your house will smell amazing while the garlic, shallot and sage bake with the feta cheese and once golden and fragrant all you have to do is stir everything together with the pumpkin puree and pasta water for this pumpkin pasta recipe. It’s all about this pumpkin sauce and let me tell you — it’s good!
This sauce is made without cream. Instead it gets its creaminess from the baked feta cheese. Once the feta is baked and the garlic, sage and shallots are roasted and golden brown everything comes together really quickly for this meal that would be perfect to make for a girls dinner or any get together in October.
Pumpkin truly is a fall superfood — it’s packed with vitamin A, E, and C which are all super good for skin health and immunity, plus it’s a good source of potassium and fiber. Not only does it add fall flavor to anything you add it too but you can feel good knowing you’re getting extra nutrition in there too!
Overall, this recipe is really simple and made with nutritious ingredients making it a healthy pumpkin pasta bake to enjoy this fall. I recommend pairing it with a source of protein like chicken or salmon. You could also us chickpea or lentil-based pasta to give it some more plant-based protein.
I haven’t tried it you could make this using vegan feta for a dairy free version (I’m not sure if that bakes the same!)
Ingredients for Pumpkin Feta Pasta
- Penne Pasta — you could use whatever pasta shape you like for this recipe — penne works really well! Use gluten free or lentil based pasta if you prefer.
- Pumpkin Puree — I use Libby’s pumpkin puree for nearly all of my pumpkin recipes.
- Feta Cheese — you will need a block of feta for this recipe.
- Garlic — the garlic will smell amazing while it bakes and flavor the pumpkin sauce nicely.
- Shallot — shallot complement the pumpkin in this recipe so well!
- Sage — sage and pumpkin are a dynamic flavor duo. They just go together SO well!
- Olive Oil
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt & Pepper
equipment / utensils
- 9X13 baking dish
- wooden spoon
- cutting board
Pumpkin Baked Feta Pasta
- 1 9X13 baking dish
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 cutting board
- 1 knife
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 8 oz. block of feta cheese
- 2 small/medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, cut lengthwise into thirds
- 4-5 sage leaves
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly cracked pepper + more for garnishing at the end
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 cups pasta water
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- Preheat the oven to 415 degrees F. Add olive oil to the dish and place the block of feta in the middle. Add salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes (see notes).
- Remove from oven and carefully add shallots, garlic and sage making sure they are covered in the olive oil. Place back in the oven for an additional 10-12 minutes. At this point the shallots and garlic should be roasted and soft and the sage crispy.
- Next, cook the pasta according to package directions. Reserve 2 cups of pasta water.
- Remove the feta from the oven, use a spoon to break it up and mix it with the garlic, sage and shallots. Stir in pumpkin puree and 1 cup pasta water until a smooth and creamy pasta sauce begins to form.
- Add in pasta and stir together. Add more pasta water 1/2 cup at a time (in total I added an additional 1 cup) until all the noodles are covered in the sauce and it's smooth and creamy. Top with freshly cracked black pepper and enjoy!
Also be sure to check out my greek baked feta pasta recipe too!
More Pasta Recipes Featuring Pumpkin You’re Sure to Love:
Pin this recipe for later!