This pumpkin apple crisp embodies what fall is all about. It will make your entire house smell delicious as it bakes and is perfect for any fall occasion!
- 4–5 medium-large apples (some tart (like granny smith or northern spy), some sweet (like honeycrisp)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest, grated
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or sub organic cane sugar)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch (for thickening)
- 3/4 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats*
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour*
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) grass-fed butter, melted and cooled ***
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or sub brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup pecans (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- gluten-free granola (I love this pumpkin one from Purely Elizabeth!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash and thinly slice apples lengthwise (keep the skin on for extra fiber!)
- Add to a large mixing bowl and top with remaining filling ingredients. Toss to combine.
- Add apple and pumpkin mixture to a 9×13 baking dish.
- In another small bowl add all topping ingredients. Stir to combine, then use fingers to break down any clumps of sugar. Pour over apples in an even layer.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes (uncovered) or until the filling is bubbly, and the apples are very fork tender.
- Top with extra gluten free granola if desired and serve with ice cream or pumpkin spice greek yogurt.
- Keep the leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave.
* If gluten is not as issue, feel free to use regular oats and whole-wheat or whole-wheat pastry flour
*** Cool butter in a hurry by microwaving a glass of water, until warm/hot, dumping the water out and placing the cup over the butter.