This healthy pumpkin cake with pumpkin spice yogurt frosting will wow you with how delicious it is! Made with simple ingredients, not a lot of sugar and gluten free.
Extra moist and fluffy, this pumpkin cake is the perfect treat for fall (and all year long!). If you follow me on Instagram, then you know that I enjoy pumpkin treats year-round and firmly believe it’s never a bad time to whip out a can of pumpkin puree and get baking!
Most cakes are made with at least 1 cup of sugar, so I wanted to make one that cut way back on the sugar, didn’t skimp on pumpkiny flavor and gave you a little extra nutrition. Enter this delicious and easy to make healthy pumpkin cake!
This pumpkin recipe embodies the delicious flavors of fall that we all know and love! It’s spongey, and not too sweet, plus each bite packs extra nutrition thanks to siggi’s.
If you were to open my fridge right now you’d see our stash of various flavors of siggi’s yogurts. Rob likes one from breakfast (usually vanilla 4% or strawberry rhubarb) and I’ll usually have one with lunch (usually key lime, or coffee). It’s the only brand we love and trust when it comes to yogurts because it’s made with simple ingredients and not a lot of sugar.
These days the sugar content of yogurt can rival that of a dessert, but not siggi’s. Each cup contains more protein than sugar and can we just talk about how each of their flavors is so delicious?!
I count down the days until their pumpkin spice flavor comes back for the season and in the meantime love using the 4% vanilla flavor in recipes like this one for healthy pumpkin cake! I often buy the 24 oz. containers so that I have enough for baking, using for snacks and meals at home.
It’s about time I had a gluten free pumpkin cake recipe on Once Upon a Pumpkin and I hope you enjoy this cake when you’re home baking more this summer. I also like that you can make it in an 8X8 — no need to use a sheet or cake pan!
ingredients for healthy pumpkin cake with pumpkin spice yogurt frosting
- Pumpkin puree
- siggi’s 4% vanilla yogurt
- Almond flour
- Oat flour
- Baking soda
- Coconut sugar
- Maple syrup
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Vanilla extract
- 8X8 baking pan
- 2 mixing bowls
- Parchment paper
This healthy pumpkin cake will wow you with how easy it is to make and how delicious it is! Made with simple ingredients, not a lot of sugar and gluten free.
For the cake:
- 1 + ⅓ cup blanched almond flour
- ⅓ cup + 4 tbsp. gluten free oat flour
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 eggs ⠀
- ⅓ cup coconut oil or butter, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree ⠀
- ⅓ cup siggi’s 4% vanilla yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract ⠀
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup siggi’s 4% vanilla yogurt
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. pumpkin puree
- splash of vanilla extract
- pumpkin pie spice for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8X8 pan with parchment paper or grease.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the almond flour, oat flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, coconut sugar, pumpkin puree, yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the try and mix until just combined. Bake for approximately 25 minutes. Check to make sure a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking prepare the frosting by mixing all of the ingredients together until combined.
- Once the cake has baked, let cool and frost. Sprinkle extra pumpkin pie spice on top and enjoy! Store covered in the fridge.
more recipes with siggi’s yogurt that I’m sure you’ll love:
Thank you to siggi’s for partnering in the development of this recipe with me! I love partnering with brands that help add more nutrition to our everyday lives in an attainable way.
Pin this recipe for later!