Healthy pumpkin sticky date cake with a date caramel sauce will wow you with how delicious and rich it is! The top has a slightly crispy crust with subtle date pieces and hints of pumpkin in each bite.
for the date cake:
- 2 cup pitted medjool dates, roughly chopped
- 2 cups brewed coffee
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup oat flour
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
for the caramel date sauce:
- 14 pitted medjool dates
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp non-dairy milk like oat or almond
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8X8 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine chopped dates and coffee and bring to a low simmer. Continue simmering for about 5 minutes until the date pieces begin to break down and the mixture looks thicker. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda. Let cool.
- Whisk oat flour, almond flour, pumpkin pie spice, ginger and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat the room temperature butter until light and fluffy. Add in the coconut sugar and continue beating until combined. Add the egg and pumpkin puree and beat together until smooth.
- Finally add in the flour mixture and date mixture and beat together on low until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean with just a few crumbs sticking to it.
- While the cake cooks, make the date caramel sauce by combining all of the ingredients together in a high speed blender.