These gluten and dairy free lemon sugar cookies will blow you away with their fresh, tart taste and soft texture! They are made with simple ingredients and not a lot of sugar! There is also an option to make them vegan.
Was I the only one who loved sugar cookies from Subway growing up?! I would always get one with my sandwich and loved how chewy and soft they were in the middle and a little crispy around the edges! I haven’t had one or a Subway sandwich in years, but these lemon sugar cookies reminded me of them, just a healthier version!
My recipe is a little more cake-y than those big flat Subway cookies, however has the same crispiness around the edges and chewy softness in the inside, plus a fun burst of flavor from the lemon!
The whole apartment smelled amazing as I grated fresh lemon zest into the batter and the first bite made me think of spring! A girl can daydream in the middle of a cold Chicago winter, can’t she?!
Lemon definitely makes me think of the spring, and these cookies are sure to brighten up even the grayest of Chicago winter days! Lemons are a good source of vitamin C and plant compounds that give them a number of health benefits.
ingredients for lemon sugar cookies
- almond flour
- coconut flour
- fresh lemon
- lemon zest
- cane sugar
- egg – replace with an egg replacer for a vegan version
- vanilla extract
- baking soda
how to make these cookies
Making these tart lemon sugar cookies is easy! I used my KitchenAid mixer to mix the ingredients which also gave them a nice cake-y texture. These cookies do need to be refrigerated for a least 15 minutes before baking!
To make these cookies vegan, replace the egg with an egg replacer like this one.Print
You’ll love how delicious these healtheir lemon sugar cookies are and that they’re made with simple ingredients and not a lot of sugar!
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer mix together the melted coconut oil, sugar, egg, vanilla, and lemon juice for about 30 seconds until just combined.
- Next add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Mix on low until the dough forms, and then fold the lemon zest in using a wooden spoon. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and use a cookie scoop to portion out the dough on to the baking sheet. Flatten the dough lightly with the palm of your hand and bake for approximately 9 minutes. Cool on a wire wrack and dust with extra lemon zest if desired!
* make these cookies vegan by combining one tablespoon of the powdered egg replacer with two tablespoons of water and let it sit for a minute to allow it to thicken before adding in with the rest of the ingredients.
Keywords: lemon sugar cookies
more recipes you’re sure to love
- pumpkin chickpea blondies
- blueberry lemon oatmeal cups
- better than starbucks pumpkin bread
- blueberry brioche french toast
pin this recipe for later