Lemon thumbprint cookies are a simple and delicious gluten free treat that harness the bright tart flavor of lemon in each bite!
Little drops of sunshine was the first thing that came to mind when I thought about naming these cookies. They’re cheery to look at and even more fun to eat! The cookie base is a simple gluten free peanut butter cookie (it goes with the lemon really nicely!) that is topped with a super simple lemon curd.
I love tart treats infused with lemon and lime and I had never made lemon curd before, which is how these cookies came to be. Plus if you’re following along on Instagram then you know this week is egg week and both cookies and lemon curd require eggs!
Not only do I always have a carton of eggs in my fridge for making meals and snacks with, but also of course for baking! And if you’re already like yes, the flavors of these cookies are my jam, be sure to check out this recipe for lemon banana bread — I know you’ll love it too!
Ingredients for lemon thumbprint cookies
for the cookies:
- peanut butter
- maple syrup or honey
- blanched almond flour
- baking soda
for the easy lemon curd:
Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
- for the cookies:
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup creamy unsweetened peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- for the lemon curd:
- zest of 3 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup lemon juice about 3 lemons
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- Start by making the lemon curd. Add sugar and lemon zest to a food processor or high-speed blender. Blend until combined (it will smell super citrusy!).
- Cream the room temperature butter. Add the sugar and then add the eggs in one at a time mixing between each addition. Lastly add the lemon juice and salt and mix together until just combined.
- Transfer the lemon mixture to 2-quart saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly. When you have your first bubble and the mixture is a lot thicker than what you started with, you’ll know it’s done.
- Set aside to let cool.
- In medium bowl combine egg, peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion out the dough. Roll it into balls and gently flatten it out with your palm just a little.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the cookies are set.
- Remove from oven and use the back of a 1/2 tbsp. to make “thumbprints” in the middle of each cookie. Once the cookies are cooled spoon a little lemon curd on top of each one.
- Store leftover lemon curd and cookies in the fridge for up to a week.
more lemon recipes you’re sure to love
- honey lemon banana bread (GF)
- pink lemonade bars (GF)
- lemony asparagus pasta
- lemon dill salmon cakes
pin this recipe for later