This mango avocado wild rice power bowl with chili lime salmon is a well-rounded and flavor-packed meal that’s bursting with nutrition in every bite!
Because it’s summer, I love infusing all my meals and snacks with fresh, bright flavors and in-season produce as much as I can. Not only does it keep things fun and fresh in the kitchen, but also diversifies the nutrition you’re getting (the more plant foods, the better!) which is great for our gut health and more.
In this power bowl, tangy mango, avocado salsa comes together with California-grown wild rice to serve as a base for flavorful chili lime salmon. I love this combination of flavors and it’s super easy to make although it feels elevated. That’s a win, win in my book!
While I’m not a huge fan of meal prep, I do like prepping a few things at the start of the week that can be used in a variety of ways across lunch and dinner. Rice is definitely one of those staples for me that I like to use for building different meals and I always have a variety in my pantry from basmati to wild rice for using in different meals.
When it comes to nutrition, rice is small but mighty! It’s packed with energy, complex carbs, protein, fiber, antioxidants and more than 15 vitamins and minerals. I always have different varieties of U.S.-grown rice in my pantry to use as a base in meals like this and more.
Brown, wild, black, red and purple rice are 100% whole grain varieties. Research shows that eating whole grains can help reduce heart disease, and may reduce the risk of certain cancers.
Rice is a nutrient-dense, complex carbohydrate that the body slowly digests to help you stay energized throughout the day. Plus, research shows that eating rice increases levels of the feel-good chemical serotonin, which helps boost mood and helps keep you fuller for longer.
Did you know wild rice is grown in California, Oregon, Idaho, Minnesota and Wisconsin? Another fun fact: Wild rice is not technically a rice but is a semi-aquatic grass native to North America!
Is All Rice Gluten Free?
One thing about rice that I see confusion on is if it’s gluten free.
The answer is yes, rice is naturally gluten-free, highly digestible and the least allergenic of all grains. It’s a great option for people with Celiac disease or who choose to follow a gluten-free diet.
What You’ll Need for Mango Avocado Wild Rice Power Bowl with Chili Lime Salmon
- California-Grown wild rice
- Vegetable broth
- Wild-caught salmon filets
- Red Onion
- Chili Powder
- Salt & Pepper
Equipment / Utensils
Mango Avocado Wild Rice Power Bowl with Chili Lime Salmon
- 1 cup California-grown wild rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 mango diced
- 1 large avocado diced
- 1-2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 wild-caught salmon filets
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 lime zest & juice
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1. Prepare rice with vegetable broth according to package directions in a rice cooker or on the stovetop.
- 2. While the rice is cooking, prepare the mango avocado salsa. Dice mango, avocado, tomato, red onion, and jalapeno. Mix together, add salt, lime juice and cilantro and refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- 3. Season salmon with salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, lime juice and zest and honey and olive oil on top. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and bake salmon for 10-12 minutes, broiling for the last couple minutes if desired.
- 4. To assemble the bowls, toss the wild rice with the mango avocado salsa and top with salmon. Garnish with lime, and extra fresh cilantro — enjoy!
This blog post is in partnership with the US Rice Federation. All opinions are my own and I’m proud to partner with brands and organizations that share my mission of making healthy food more accessible to everyone.
More Recipes with Rice You’re Sure to Love
- Veggie & Rice Spring Rolls
- Fall Wild Rice Pilaf
- Turmeric Coconut Basmati Rice Bowl
- Chicken Lemon Rice Soup with Butternut Squash & Kale
Pin this recipe for later