This pumpkin chocolate chip mug cake recipe is the perfect single-serving dessert! Made gluten and dairy free, it’s packed with pumpkin and pumpkin spice and cooks in your microwave in under 3 minutes!
I have to admit. I’ve never really been a fan of mug cakes in the past! I think I over cooked one once and never tried to make another one until I tried to make this pumpkin version! My tune has definitely changed because this pumpkin chocolate chip mug cake is delicious and perfect for fall!
A cake made in the microwave you say?! Yes. I promise, it’s really good and super easy to make! When you’re not in the mood to bake an entire cake and craving a fun pumpkin treat, this pumpkin chocolate chip mug cake is perfect!
If you follow me on Instagram then you know I’m always down for something pumpkin, no matter the time of year and especially in the fall! There’s just something magical in the air this time of year that makes me so happy! Do you feel it too?!
Pumpkin is truly a fall superfood and I love adding it to different sweet and savory recipes like this mug cake recipe! This mug cake that is both gluten and dairy free is a great option when you’re not quite ready to bake a full blown cake, or when you just want a fun little treat to enjoy while watching TV or a halloween movie (tell me you’re a hocus pocus fan too!).
What is a mug cake?
A mug cake is a “cake” you bake in the microwave. It’s the perfect portion for one and is made by mixing all the ingredients directly into a (regular sized) coffee mug and heating it up in the microwave for about 2 1/2 minutes.
You can totally customize it based on different ingredients you like, in this case I added pumpkin puree (which should come as no surprise to you!) and chocolate chips and peanut butter on top.
Gluten free pumpkin mug cake ingredients
- pumpkin puree
- blanched almond flour
- coconut flour
- maple syrup – honey could also be used if you prefer
- pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- collagen – this is totally optional! It will give your mug cake a boost of protein. I love this unflavored collagen from mindbodygreen.
- vanilla extract
- baking soda
- 1 egg
- chocolate chips – totally optional, but I felt like the chocolate chips added a lot!
utensils / equipment
- coffee mug
how to make a pumpkin mug cake
Seriously making a mug cake couldn’t be easier which is why it makes for a great little treat when you’re not in the mood to full on bake something.
- Melt. Melt the coconut oil directly in a coffee mug.
- Add. Add the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, almond flour, coconut flour, pumpkin spice, vanilla extract, baking soda, and lemon juice to the mug.
- Mix. Mix ingredients together well. Crack the egg directly into the mug and mix well with a fork until combined. Mix in a few chocolate chips
- Microwave. Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes. Carefully remove as the mug will be hot.
- Enjoy! Top with peanut butter and pumpkin seeds if desired!
This pumpkin mug cake is the perfect pumpkin dessert for one that will satisfy your craving for a pumpkin treat in a healthy way. Don’t forget to drizzle peanut butter on top!
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp. pumpkin puree
- 1/2 –1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. blanched almond flour
- 2 tbsp. coconut flour
- 1 tbsp. collagen (optional)
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- few drops lemon juice
- 1 egg
- sprinkle of chocolate chips
- In a regular sized mug add melted coconut oil, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond flour, coconut flour, pumpkin pie spice, and baking soda.
- Add the lemon juice next, making sure it makes contact with the baking soda (this ensures your mug cake will bake up!)
- At this point, mix the ingredients together well. Add in the egg and mix until completely incorporated into the cake batter.
- Mix in a small handful of chocolate chips
- Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes. Be careful because the mug will be hot! Drizzle peanut butter on top, sprinkle with extra pumpkin spice and enjoy!
Keywords: pumpkin mug cake; pumpkin chocolate chip mug cake
more pumpkin recipes you’re sure to love
- copycat pumpkin pie perfect bars [GF & DF]
- pumpkin chickpea blondies [GF & DF]
- pumpkin no bake cookies [GF & DF]
- pumpkin banana nice cream [GF & DF]
- dairy-free pumpkin cream cold brew
Love everything and anything pumpkin like I do?! Keep up with all things pumpkin this fall with me on Instagram Be sure to check out my new pumpkin cookbook, The Great Big Pumpkin Cookbook available now on Amazon and Target.com with over 50 pumpkin recipes, including gluten free, dairy free, and paleo friendly recipes!
pin this recipe for later