Make your favorite pooch a healthy and delicious birthday cake for their special day! This pumpkin dog birthday cake is made with simple ingredients that are safe for dogs and humans too!
My sweet angel Pumpkin is two years old today and I wanted to make something that combined his love for pumpkin, peanut butter and yogurt — enter this perfect little pumpkin dog birthday cake! Nothing less for this little king!
Pumpkin is a cavalier king charles spaniel and the four legged love of my life! Affectionate to the max, always down to cuddle on the couch, and lover of the end of siggi’s yogurt cups, I really can’t even remember what my life was like without him. I dreamed about having a dog my whole life (my parents never wanted one!), and when Rob and I started looking I didn’t want to let myself get too excited because I truly couldn’t believe I could finally get a little puppy of my own!
You know this if you have one, but cavaliers are so emotionally in tune with their owners and Pumpkin is no different. He knows when I’m having a bad day or don’t feel good and cuddles ever closer or rests his head on my shoulder when he’s sitting on the top of the couch cushions.
His big brown eyes will melt your heart the moment you see them and the sweetest thing is when he runs full speed to the door to greet you. I never knew those moments of pure joy and love from a dog could enrich your life as much as they’ve enriched mine since having Pumpkin in my life!
I truly could go on and on about all the sweet little moments, and I know your dog does the same because you are on here looking for a cake recipe to make them for their birthday! I always new I would be a crazy dog mom and here we are! Pumpkin loved this cake and I know your dog will love it too!
Your birthday boy or girl will love this recipe because:
- it’s easy to make (takes less than 1 hour)
- It’s made with simple ingredients that are all dog safe
- It’s totally edible for humans, so don’t let your dog have all the fun!
Ingredients for Pumpkin Dog Birthday Cake
- pumpkin puree
- oat flour
- unsweetened creamy peanut butter
- greek yogurt ( I used siggi’s, which I like because it’s low in sugar)
- unsweetened applesauce
- pumpkin pie spice
- baking soda
- baking powder
Health Benefits of Pumpkin Puree for Dogs
Did you know pumpkin is a superfood for dogs?!
Pumpkin puree is great for dogs, and can help with digestive regularity for your pooch and help them quickly if they are experiencing constipation or diarrhea.
Depending on the size of your dog, 2 tsp to 1 tbsp is a safe amount to give them to help with tummy troubles. It can be the same pumpkin puree in a can that you would eat too.Print
This pumpkin dog birthday cake is the perfect healthy treat to make for your furry friend on their birthday! All of the ingredients are dog safe and human approved!
Pumpkin Dog Birthday Cake
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup pumpkin pureé
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup smooth unsweetened peanut butter
Peanut Butter Yogurt Frosting
- 1 cup low sugar vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened creamy peanut butter
- more peanut butter or your dogs favorite treats for garnishing
Pumpkin Dog Birthday Cake
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour two 6-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Set a side.
- Gently whisk together the eggs, pumpkin, applesauce, and peanut butter until well combined. Add in the flour ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Divide batter evenly between the two prepared pans and bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes then invert cakes onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Use a cake leveler to cut the top off of one of the cakes. Spread a thin layer of yogurt on top of that layer and place the other layer on top.
- In a small bowl with a spoon mix the rest of the yogurt and the peanut butter. Use a small spatula to frost a thin layer of it around the entire cake. Garnish with extra peanut butter and your dogs favorite treats!
Pumpkin is about 15lbs and I let him lick the cake a little at a time. Obviously each dog is different! Make sure they have plenty of water available near by at all times!
Keywords: pumpkin dog birthday cake