Pumpkin enchiladas with avocado crema make for a nutritious and delicious weeknight meal in the fall! Smoky pumpkin enchilada sauce is complemented by a cool avocado crema wrapped into every enchilada and topped with fresh cilantro, jalapeños, pumpkin seeds, and avocados!
Fall is all about cozy meals and warm flavors and I know these pumpkin enchiladas with avocado crema will be on repeat for you this season like they are for me!
I love this savory take on pumpkin because it truly shows just how versatile pumpkin and avocado really are! Pumpkin is not just for sweet treats and avocado is not just for guacamole. Pumpkin puree mixed chipotle peppers and spices create a delicious smoky pumpkin enchilada sauce that covers enchiladas filled with avocado crema, chicken, black beans and cheese.
As this is a busy season for me, I’m all about a quick, balanced and nutritious meal that I can have for lunch the next day too and these pumpkin enchiladas with avocado crema check all of those boxes for me!
They are balanced with carbs, protein and healthy fat thanks to avocado, and the cool creaminess of avocado balances the smoky pumpkin flavor really well. Once they’re baked and bubbly, I like serving them in a bowl with all the fixings on top — shredded lettuce, diced red onion, and more fresh cilantro and pumpkin seeds and of course sliced fresh avocado!
Ready in less than an hour and very fresh and flavorful, I know this recipe is sure to be a hit in your kitchen!
Avocado and pumpkin are a power pairing for fall that make this recipe extra nutritious and I’m excited to team up with Avocados – Love One Today® to give you a chance to win 1 of 6 $500 visa® e-gift cards. Subscribe to Love One Today’s newsletter and enter the Fall Sweepstakes at LoveOneToday.com/avocadoandpumpkin today. Good luck!
Nutritional Highlights of This Pumpkin Enchilada with Avocado Crema Recipe
When it comes to nutrition, pumpkin and avocado have a lot in common. Both technically fruits, pumpkin and avocado contain beneficial nutrition for immune function thanks to their vitamin C content and blood pressure benefits thanks to their potassium content. Avocados are definitely a staple for me that I’m always adding to bowls, sandwiches, or salads for more nutrition!
One key nutritional highlight that I think is especially cool is the fact that the good fats in avocado help increase the absorption of the fat-soluble vitamins found in pumpkin — A & E. An added benefit of this delicious recipe!
Here are a few additional nutritional highlights:
- A third of a medium avocado contains 6 grams of good fats which can act as an immune system booster by helping increase the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K.
- A 1 cup serving of pumpkin is a good source of vitamin E, and an excellent source of vitamin A. Vitamin A is critical for vision and is involved in immune function.
- Avocados contain 250 mg of potassium (6% DV) per serving.
- A serving of pumpkin is a good source of vitamin C (12% DV) per serving.
- Pumpkins contain 400 mg of potassium (8% DV) per serving.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Enchiladas with Avocado Crema:
- pumpkin puree
- tomato paste
- veggie broth
- chipotle chili in adobo
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- fresh garlic
- fresh avocados
- plain Greek yogurt
- shredded chicken
- black beans
- shredded Mexican cheese
- pumpkin seeds
- romaine lettuce
- red onion
- 9X13 baking dish
- High-speed blender
- Food processor
- Cutting board
Pumpkin Enchiladas with Avocado Crema
Pumpkin Enchilada Sauce:
- 1 can (15 oz.) pumkin puree
- 1 tbsp unsalted tomato paste
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 ripe, medium, fresh avocado(s) halved, pitted & peeled
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, non-fat
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 6 – inch flour or glute-free tortillas
- 1 cup pumpkin enchilada sauce
- 1 cup avocado crema
- 1/2 ripe ripe, medium, fresh avocado(s) halved, pitted & peeled
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro, for serving
- 1 tbsp. pumpkin seeds, for serving
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and sliced, for serving
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce, for serving
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced or sliced, for serving
- 2-3 lime wedges, for serving
For the Pumpkin Enchilada Sauce:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
For the Avocado Crema:
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
For the Pumpkin Enchiladas
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread of layer of pumpkin enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9X13 baking pan covering the bottom.
- To assemble the enchiladas, start by warming up the tortillas over low on the stove to make them easier to fold.
- Spread a layer of avocado crema on the tortilla, top with shredded chicken, black beans and cheese. Repeat with remaining tortillas and place seam side down in the baking pan.
- Pour remaining pumpkin enchilada sauce over the top of the tortillas in the pan so that they are covered. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes until the cheese is melted and the edges are bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and top with fresh cilantro, sliced jalapeno, sliced avocado and pumpkin seeds.
- Serve enchiladas in a bowl with shredded lettuce, diced red onion and lime wedges to garnish. Enjoy!
This recipe was created in partnership with the Avocados – Love One Today®. As always all of my opinions are my own and I appreciate your support!
Be sure to subscribe to their newsletter at LoveOneToday.com/avocadoandpumpkin this fall for your chance to win 1 of 6 $500 visa® e-gift cards!
More Savory Pumpkin Recipes You’re Sure to Love:
Pin this recipe for later!