There is nothing I would rather eat on a chilly fall or winter night than a big bowl of this healthy and flavorful pumpkin ginger bisque! It’s made with simple, nutritious ingredients and is gluten free, dairy free, and vegetarian.
Pumpkin and warming spices like ginger, turmeric and cinnamon come together in this healthy soup that you’re sure to love all season long!
It’s very easy to make this pumpkin ginger bisque and it makes for a delicious lunch or dinner in the fall and winter. This soup is vegetarian, but I like adding plant-based protein to it by adding in cooked quinoa or making a soup bowl like I did here.
If you’re on this blog, then chances are you love pumpkin as much as I do! People always ask me why pumpkin? The answer is simple really. I truly believe pumpkin makes people happy aaand it’s packed with nutrition!
Nutrition Benefits of Pumpkin
Pumpkin is a great source of vitamin A (all orange veggies have it), C, E, potassium and fiber. Most of us don’t get enough fiber, which is a major reason why I like adding pumpkin to almost everything! Plus I love the taste both sweet and savory like in this pumpkin bisque recipe.
So grab a big soup pot and get to work on this simple and delicious pumpkin recipe that will warm your belly and soul! 🙂
Pumpkin Ginger Bisque Ingredients:
- Pumpkin puree — make sure it’s pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling! These are VERY different, yet always seem to be next to each other at the grocery store!
- Vegetable broth — I choose low sodium vegetable broths and you can definitely substitute chicken broth if you need to
- Butternut squash — butternut squash gives this pumpkin bisque, it’s thick creaminess without any cream at all. It also helps to add to the flavor!
- Garlic, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon — all of these warm fall flavors really add to the depth of flavor in this soup. These spice also have anti-inflammatory, and antibiotic properties as well as digestive benefits.
This recipe has to be my favorite pumpkin soup for fall. It’s thick and creamy, packed with flavor and nutrition and absolutely perfect for when the weather gets a little chilly.
- 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin puree
- 3 cups vegetable broth*
- 1 1/2 cup cubed butternut squash (frozen works great, just make sure you heat it up according to the package directions before adding to the soup)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp freshly grated pepper + more on top
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- In a large pot heat olive oil and add the garlic and shallot. Stir until fragrant.
- Add vegetable broth, and pumpkin puree until combined.
- Add lemon, ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper.
- Blend soup using an emersion blender or transfer ( 1 cup at a time) to a high speed blender (like a vitamix) to achieve the creamy blended texture.
- If blending in a blender, add back into the soup pot and let simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Grate the parmesan cheese into the soup pot and add extra pepper if desired.
- Add to bowls and garnish with greens, sage, extra cheese, pomegranate seeds or toasted pumpkin seeds!
* You can substitute with chicken broth if you need to.
Fall in Love With These Savory Pumpkin Recipes Too
Pin this pumpkin bisque recipe for later!