Pumpkin harvest pasta sauce is a delicious creamy pasta sauce made with pumpkin puree, butternut squash, fire-roasted tomatoes and fresh spices! Perfect on top of any kind of pasta, it’s all the flavors of fall wrapped into a one delicious sauce!
- 1 lb package of pasta of your choice
- 1/3 cup pasta water
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. butter (sub for more olive oil for a vegan version)
- 3 gloves of garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
- 1 cup butternut squash, cubed
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 of a 15 oz. can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/8 tsp. pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- 1/3 cup oat milk
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese + extra for sprinkling on top
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Cook pasta according to package directions. When draining reserve 1/3 cup of the water to use later in this recipe.
- Mince the garlic, and shallot. Add olive oil, butter (if using) and garlic and shallot to a sauté pan. Stir and saute until fragrant. Add the fresh sage and butternut squash. If using frozen butternut squash sauté until it is no longer frozen.
- Next, add the vegetable broth, pumpkin puree, tomato paste and fire roasted tomatoes. Stir and turn the heat down to low to let simmer.
- Add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, allspice and pumpkin spice. Stir together, cover and let simmer for 5-6 minutes. Add pasta water and let simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully transfer the sauce into a blender. Add oat milk and parmesan cheese.
- Blend on high until you see that the sauce is well combined and not chunky.
- Pour sauce back into your pan, add pasta and fold in spinach over low heat.
- Remove from heat, portion and serve. I like it with extra grated parmesan cheese on top and fresh spinach!
This sauce can definitely be frozen for future use.
Keywords: pumpkin harvest pasta sauce; pumpkin pasta sauce; vegan pumpkin pasta sauce