Pumpkin morning glory muffins are bursting with nutrition, texture and flavor and are made with pumpkin, apple, and zucchini!
They are the muffins you never knew you needed, with pumpkin, zucchini and apple all rolled into one delicious baked good! They’re perfect with a cup of coffee in the morning or slathered with almond butter as a snack!
These muffins are grain free and made with almond flour, eggs, pumpkin, zucchini, apple and sweetened with maple syrup. I often crave a baked good in the morning but don’t want something that is overly sugary or sweet. Luckily, these muffins are lightly sweetened and help me get more fruits in at breakfast!
There are many renditions of morning glory muffins. Some with carrots, and raisins and some with walnuts and coconut. Those things can totally be added into this batter! I choose to keep this batch simple, but that didn’t stop me from drizzling almond butter all over them when they were still warm out of the oven!
The pumpkin seeds on top give these muffins a nice crunch. It may not be fall yet, but one bite of these muffins and you’ll be excited for more pumpkin goodies to come!
Pumpkin, zucchini and apples all contain vitamins, minerals and fiber that we need in our diet daily. All three fruits (yes, pumpkin and zucchini are technically fruits!) contain vitamin C, A and potassium. They are also all a good source of fiber, nutrient that most of us don’t get enough of on a daily basis!
Grab what you need for this recipe here:
Made with delicious and nutritious ingredients you’ll want to start every week with a warm batch of these pumpkin morning glory muffins!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup*
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed of excess moisture with a paper towel (really squeeze!)
- 1 large apple (I originally used a honey crisp) washed and cut into thin strips, and then diced (to still get little apple pieces)
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, pealed and grated
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tbsp. pumpkin seeds (pepitas) for sprinkling on top
- optional mix-ins: walnuts, pecans, chocolate chips, dried cranberries, unsweetened coconut flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin, or line it with papers and spray the insides of the papers.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, zucchini, apples, ginger, and vanilla until combined.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined — don’t over mix!
5. Use an ice cream scoop or a small measuring cup to scoop batter into muffin tins. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top.
6. Bake for 28-30 minutes. Remove from oven, use a knife to loosen them from the muffin pan if needed. Let cool and enjoy!
7. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week in an airtight container.
* Can substitute coconut sugar or brown sugar if needed.