Pumpkin pie thumbprint cookies are a cross between a cookie and a slice of pumpkin pie! Soft pumpkin cookies topped with a cream cheese frosting with pecan pieces and pumpkin spice on top, they make for the perfect treat or dessert!
For times when you’re not up for an entire pumpkin pie, these pumpkin pie thumbprint cookies are perfect!
Pumpkin filled cookies topped with a cream cheese frosting and pecan pieces on top, each cookie is like it’s own mini pumpkin pie! These soft pumpkin cookies would also be delicious plain but the cream cheese frosting and pecan pieces take them up a notch and make them look extra cute too.
If you follow me on Instagram, you know I’m all about all things pumpkin (so much so that I wrote a whole pumpkin cookbook!) and love finding both sweet and savory ways to use it all season long. Not only does it give baked goods all the warm and cozy vibes, it’s packed with nutrition like vitamin C, A, E, and potassium and fiber.
I thought these would be perfect for Thanksgiving as well if you’re looking for a fun treat that’s definitely less hassle than making a cheesecake or a pie. Plus, who doesn’t love a good pumpkin cookie?!
ingredients for pumpkin pie thumbprint cookies
Here is everything you will need for pumpkin thumbprint cookies!
- whole-wheat pastry flour – You could also substitute all-purpose flour or 1:1 gluten free flour.
- pumpkin pie spice
- cinnamon allspice
- baking soda
- baking powder
- brown sugar or coconut sugar
- pumpkin puree
- coconut oil
- vanilla extract
- cream cheese
- confectioners’ sugar
- lemon juice
- pecan pieces
equipment / utensils
- cookie sheet
- parchment paper
- mixing bowls
dairy free pumpkin cream cheese
Not doing dairy? No problem. You can make these pumpkin thumbprint cookies with my dairy free pumpkin cream cheese on top! Easily made from cashews, I know you will be surprised at how delicious it is!
Pumpkin Pie Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. plus a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp.vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- dash of pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together whole-wheat pastry flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and sat.
- In another medium bowl, combine brown sugar, pumpkin puree, coconut oil, egg, and vanilla, Mix with a wooden spoon until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion out cookie dough on the cookie sheet. I recommend filling the cookie scoop about halfway full as the portion size, because the cookies will spread. 1/2 of a cookie scoop makes for a typical cookie size.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes. Remove the cookies from oven, and use your thumb to gently make a small indentation for the thumbprint. Let cool.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the cream cheese frosting. Use a stand or a hand mixer to beat together softened cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar and pinch of salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- Once the cookies are mostly cooled pipe* the cream cheese frosting onto each cookie and top with pecan pieces and extra pumpkin pie spice. Enjoy!
more pumpkin cookies you’ll fall in love with
- iced soft pumpkin cookies
- pumpkin snickerdoodle cookies
- pillowy pumpkin cookies with cream cheese frosting
- pumpkin oatmeal cookies with maple glaze
pin this recipe for later