Pumpkin pie thumbprint cookies are a cross between a cookie and a slice of pumpkin pie! Soft pumpkin cookies topped with a cream cheese filling with pecan pieces and pumpkin spice on top, they make for the perfect treat or dessert!
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. plus a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp.vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- dash of pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together whole-wheat pastry flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and sat.
- In another medium bowl, combine brown sugar, pumpkin puree, coconut oil, egg, and vanilla, Mix with a wooden spoon until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion out cookie dough on the cookie sheet. I recommend filling the cookie scoop about halfway full as the portion size, because the cookies will spread. 1/2 of a cookie scoop makes for a typical cookie size.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes. Remove the cookies from oven, and use your thumb to gently make a small indentation for the thumbprint. Let cool.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the cream cheese frosting. Use a stand or a hand mixer to beat together softened cream cheese, butter, confectioners’ sugar and pinch of salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- Once the cookies are mostly cooled pipe* the cream cheese frosting onto each cookie and top with pecan pieces and extra pumpkin pie spice. Enjoy!
*Putting the cream cheese frosting into a plastic bag and cutting the tip off makes for a great pipping bag.
Keywords: pumpkin thumbprint cookies