Packed with plant-based protein thanks to the mighty pumpkin seed, pumpkin seed pesto is flavorful and nutritious and the perfect accompaniment to pasta, sandwiches, chicken and more!
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 + 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan reggiano cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and add pumpkin seeds to a sheet pan. Toast in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- Remove pumpkin seeds from the oven and drizzle 1/4 cup olive oil on to them. Add cloves of garlic to the sheet pan as well to slightly toast from the heat of the pan. Let cool.
- Add basil, pumpkin seeds, garlic, cheese, additional 1/2 cup of olive oil and salt and pepper to a food processor. Process until smooth. Taste and add additional salt or pepper.
- Store covered in the fridge for up to a week. Freeze pesto in an ice cube tray to save for easy use later.
Recipe adapted from Andrew Zimmerman
Keywords: pumpkin seed pesto; vegan pumpkin seed pesto