Pumpkin shaped gnocchi made with simple ingredients like pumpkin puree, ricotta cheese, and flour in a sage brown butter sauce makes for the perfect savory pumpkin dish. Shaped like pumpkins, it’s a delicious and festive pumpkin recipe for fall!
Pumpkin gnocchi with sage brown butter sauce is the perfect fall dinner! Made with Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin, potato, ricotta and parmesan cheese, and a fall-inspired brown butter sauce, these festive pumpkin shaped gnocchi will surely become one of your fall favorites!
If you’re not shaping your gnocchi like pumpkins this time of year, you’re not doing it right! This pumpkin gnocchi recipe is perfectly shaped like mini pumpkins, making it a little extra fun and festive for the season. Individual sprigs of fresh rosemary are used as the pumpkin stems placed on top of these plump little gnocchis that are shaped like pumpkins.
Topped with a brown butter sage sauce and extra freshly grated parmesan cheese, pumpkin gnocchi makes for a cozy and delicious meal that’s fun to enjoy for the season. Fresh sage complements the flavor of pumpkin so well and fills your home with the aroma of the season as it toasts in the pan.
Pumpkin puree adds more fiber, and vitamins and minerals like vitamin A, C, and E giving this gnocchi more nutrition per bite. The versatility of pumpkin in both sweet and savory recipes is definitely one of the things I love about it most. It adds that warm and cozy flavor to anything you add it to!
LIBBY’S 100% PURE PUMPKIN
I used Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin to help add some fall flavor to the homemade potato gnocchi. If you’ve been following me for some time, you know that this is my go-to for what I use in all of my pumpkin recipes. They put the pumpkin in Once Upon a Pumpkin!
For generations, Libby’s has been the top producer for canned pumpkin and it’s easy to see why – they only use pumpkin! I trust this brand because I know there are no harsh chemicals or preservatives added to the canning process.
They also never fail to impress me with their sustainability & recycling efforts in their factory. They are 100% landfill-free by recycling pumpkin by-products and incinerating waste for energy recovery. The seeds are sold for wild squirrel food and the pumpkin skins and rinds find new life as land-applied fertilizer! I am always happy to support brands that are supporting a better tomorrow.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Gnocchi
- Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin
- whole-milk ricotta cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- all-purpose flour
- fresh rosemary
- fresh sage
- salt & freshly cracked black pepper
equipment / utensils:
- mixing bowls
- sauté pan
- large pot
- toothpick – this will be needed to create the pumpkin shape!
How to Make Pumpkin Shaped Gnocchi
Making this gnocchi pumpkin shaped doesn’t require that much time or effort — it’s easy! Once you’ve cut the gnocchi into the traditional pillow shape, use your fingers to mold them into a round pumpkin shape.
Next, grab a small sprig of rosemary and place it on the top to resemble a pumpkin stem. Go down the sides of the pumpkin with a toothpick to resemble the grooves of a pumpkin. And repeat!
Once you’ve formed pumpkins out of all of the dough, gently add to boiling salted water until they float (about 2-3 minutes). Remove from the water using a slotted spoon and top with brown butter sage and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Check out this video on Instagram for step-by-step instructions.
Pumpkin Shaped Gnocchi
For the pumpkin gnocchi:
- 1 cup LIBBY’S 100% Pure Pumpkin
- ½ cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 sprig of rosemary
For the sage brown butter sauce:
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 10-12 fresh sage leaves
- ½ tsp. Salt
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Add pumpkin puree, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, salt and cinnamon to a large bowl. Gently stir together with a wooden spoon. Add flour one cup at a time, continuing to mix until a dough forms.
- Flour a surface and use your hands to gently knead the dough. Dough should be smooth and not overly sticky. Add ¼ cup more flour at a time if needed to reach this consistency.
- Cut dough into 4 equal parts. Start with one part and roll it out so that it’s about 2 inches thick. Cut into pillow shapes.
- For the pumpkin shape gently turn one of the gnocchi pillows on its side and use your palm to lightly press down. Use your fingers to make sure it’s perfectly round.
- Place one piece of rosemary in the center as the pumpkin stem and use a toothpick to gently press down around the outside to get the lines of a pumpkin. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Boil a large pot of salted water. Gently drop pumpkin gnocchi into the water one by one. When the gnocchi floats, use a slotted spoon to take them out of the water.
- Make the brown butter sage sauce by adding butter to a saute pan. As soon as the butter foams up, add the sage, salt and pepper.
- Once the butter turns slightly golden brown, remove from heat. Pour oven gnocchi and top with extra grated parmesan cheese. Serve immediately and enjoy.
This recipe was proudly created in partnership with Libby’s. I hope you love it!
More Pumpkin Recipes You’re Sure to Love
- This fun Pumpkin Cacio e Pepe will give you autumn in Italy vibes.
- These Pumpkin Ricotta Toasts is the perfect autumn appetizer.
- This Vegan Pumpkin Cauliflower Chickpea Curry is flavorful, warming and packed with nutrients.
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Bread has all the pumpkin spice latte flavor we love in loaf form!
Pin this recipe for later!