Pumpkin spice coffee cake is made with simple ingredients, swaps out sour cream for greek yogurt and is lower in sugar than typical coffee cake. Packed with pumpkin and pumpkin spice, it doesn’t lack in fall flavor and makes for the perfect dessert or treat to have in the fall! This cake can also be made gluten free.
Fall flavors make me so happy (as you know if you follow me on Instagram!) and this pumpkin spice coffee cake that is spiced to perfection makes for the perfect autumn treat! You’ll fall in love with the streusel topping swirled between layers of spongy, light cake.
Move over regular coffee cake, because it’s got nothing on this pumpkin treat that’s perfect for celebrating the fall season!
Traditional coffee cake calls for quite a bit of sugar and sour cream for a rich, spongy texture. The good news is you can use siggi’s thick, Icelandic-style yogurt in place of sour cream in recipes like this for more protein. This recipe uses their seasonal pumpkin & spice yogurt which gives even more pumpkin spice flavor and an amazing texture.
You can pair the coffee cake with plain or more pumpkin & spice yogurt for a balanced breakfast, snack or dessert.
If you haven’t tried it yet, you absolutely must! It’s hands down my favorite pumpkin yogurt because it’s made with simple ingredients and real pumpkin! Not all other pumpkin yogurts can say the same.
If you were to open my fridge right now you’d see our stash of various flavors of siggi’s yogurts. Rob likes one from breakfast (usually vanilla 4% or strawberry rhubarb) and I’ll usually have one with lunch. It’s the only brand we love and trust when it comes to yogurts because it’s made with simple ingredients and not a lot of sugar.
These days the sugar content of yogurt can rival that of a dessert, but not siggi’s. Each cup contains more protein than sugar and you can’t go wrong with any of their flavors, and especially this seasonal pumpkin flavor in the fall!
pumpkin spice coffee cake ingredients:
- all-purpose or 1:1 gluten free flour
- pumpkin puree
- siggi’s pumpkin spice
Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake
For the streusel:
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup pecans or walnuts roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tbsp. butter melted
For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose or 1:1 gluten free flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 container siggi’s pumpkin & spice yogurt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
For the glaze:
- ¼ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- up to 1 tbsp. of almond milk to thin out if necessary
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray the bottom of an 8X8 inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the streusel ingredients with a fork until crumbly.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and both sugars. In a small bowl, stir together the pumpkin puree, oil, siggi’s pumpkin & spice yogurt, and eggs. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, then pour in the wet ingredients. Gently stir until just combined.
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the streusel. Spread the remaining batter over the streusel. Sprinkle with the remaining streusel so that it mostly covers the whole top.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl combine the sugar and maple syrup until an icing forms. If it’s too thick to drizzle on top, thin it out with a little bit of almond milk. Drizzle over the warm cake. Cut into squares and enjoy!