Roasted chickpeas, tomatoes, butternut squash and olives come together in this lettuce free salad that is crunchy, sweet, salty and savory all at once.
Sick of the same old salad? I hear you, and you’ve found the right salad recipe to get out of that rut! Although this recipe has some of your typical salad, it’s lettuce free and instead has a base of roasted chickpeas (think of these as an upgraded crouton!) that add crunch and flavor to every bite!
Perfect to jazz things up or for when you’re sick of leftovers!
I made this super fresh, roasted chickpea salad with Wild Wonders® tomatoes from Sunset®. All of Sunset’s products are Non-GMO Project Verified. This means they are developed the old-fashioned way, through natural plant breeding without any additives. These colorful assortment of tomatoes are a variety of vine-ripened and hand-picked tomatoes that are greenhouse grown.
I always have a package of Wild Wonders® tomatoes on my counter for adding to salads, pasta dishes or just snacking on! I love the varieties of different colored and shaped tomatoes you get in a package because they really give anything you add them to a lot of juicy-fresh flavor, not to mention add beautiful color to everything.
One of my favorite ways to get more inspiration in the kitchen when I’m feeling burnt out on the same old lunches and dinners is to draw on inspiration from the season to infuse more fun flavor into my meals.
Case in point the butternut squash in this salad! You may think it wouldn’t necessarily go with the other ingredients in this salad, however it’s sweet savoriness complements the bright flavors of the tomatoes and salty crunch from the olives and chickpeas!
Another great thing about this salad is that the flavors just get better together over time which means this makes for delicious leftovers the next day!
ingredients for chickpea & tomato salad:
- Wild Wonders® tomatoes
- Avocado oil
- Garlic powder
- Butternut squash
- Black olives
- Fresh parsley
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan or feta cheese
Roasted Chickpea and Tomato Salad
- 2 cans chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 small to medium butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 3 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 package Wild Wonders® Tomatoes halved
- ½ cup Kalamata olives halved
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Use a paper towel to pat dry the chickpeas ensuring they are super dry. Peel and cube the butternut squash.
- Toss both the butternut squash and chickpeas with the avocado oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Bake for 20 minutes until the squash is fork tender, tossing halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- While the butternut squash and chickpeas are roasting, prepare the rest of the salad.
- Cut the tomatoes and olives in half, chop the parsley and toss together with the olive oil.
- Once the squash and chickpeas have roasted and cooled, toss with the rest of the ingredients and finish with the parmesan cheese.
This post was created in partnership with Sunset®. As always all opinions are my own and I appreciate your support!
More veggie forward recipes made with Sunset® produce you’re sure to love!
pin this recipe for later!