Gingerbread banana bread combines whole-wheat pastry flour with mashed bananas, oats, molasses and gingerbread spices for a delicious hearty loaf!
2020 will forever be known as the year of banana bread, so I decided to put my own spin on a classic banana bread recipe with this gingerbread banana loaf recipe!
Made with whole-wheat pastry flour, oats, overripe bananas, molasses and lots of spices, it’s a fun twist on banana bread that’s perfect for December. Each slice has a nice hearty texture thanks to oats, and that’s a good thing!
Oats have a relatively unique nutrition profile compared to other whole grains providing a combination of both soluble and insoluble fiber — a 1/2 cup serving of raw oats has 4 grams of fiber which may help support healthy digestion.
If you’re following along on Instagram, then you know this week is oat week where I’m sharing all different ways to use oats
ingredients for gingerbread banana bread
- whole wheat pastry flour – you can definitely use regular all purpose flour or a 1:1 gluten free flour
- Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
- baking soda
- unsweetened almond milk or other nut milk of your choice
- vanilla extract
- confectioners sugar
- maple syrup
- lemon juice
Tips for making gingerbread banana bread
- Don’t over mix the batter! Once you combine the wet and dry ingredients gently mix just until all the flour disappears — do not over mix because this will cause the bread to be dense. It’s already a hearty loaf thanks to the oats!
- Top with the glaze! As mentioned, this bread is on the heartier side! The glaze gives it a little extra sweetness! I’m a fan of putting this maple lemon glaze on a lot of my baked goods if you haven’t noticed!
Gingerbread Banana Bread
- For the bread:
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup Quaker Old Fashioned Oats + extra for sprinkling on top
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. cloves
- 1/8 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 large ripe bananas mashed
- 2 tbsp. molasses
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
for the maple glaze:
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tbsp. almond milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, almond milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and molasses.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, oats, spices, salt and baking soda. Add mixture to wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Don’t over mix!
- Add to the greased loaf pan, sprinkle more oats on top, and bake for approximately 50 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool, slice and enjoy!
more bread recipes you’re sure to love
pin this recipe for later