Light and fluffy like the real thing, these pumpkin snowball cookies are perfect for transitioning from fall to all things holiday and Christmas cookies! Made with almond flour, and coconut flour and only lightly sweetened, they will glisten on your holiday table!
While I hate seeing pumpkin season go, I definitely get in the holiday spirit the day after Thanksgiving and am ready to put up all of our lights, the tree and sparkly decor. These gluten free pumpkin snowball cookies are my way of hanging on to the flavor of pumpkin when peppermint tries to infiltrate our our tastebuds, and still embrace the Christmas spirit.
These pumpkin snowball cookies are made with almond and coconut flour. Almond and coconut flour are a more nutritious and gluten free substitution for white flour and together create a really moist cookie texture. Many of the gluten free recipes you will find in the Once Upon a Pumpkin Cookbook use almond flour and or coconut flour as well as these recipes here on the blog: pumpkin chocolate chip cookie bars with a maple sea salt pumpkin seed bar topping, and gluten-free baked pumpkin donuts. The substitution for regular flour is not 1:1 in recipes, especially for coconut flour so make sure to do your homework when remaking a recipe with almond and or coconut flour.
Baking is what this season is all about and I say nothing says “thanks for having me over” more than a tin of cookies for any hostess! If they love all things pumpkin and this time of year, they are sure to love these pumpkin snowball cookies. For a nut free version, do not add the walnuts, or if walnuts are not your thing try adding pecans. As you can see I did not coat the entire cookie in powered sugar. I think they are sweet enough with simply the dusted look!
Pin this recipe for later!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Snowball Cookies
Gluten free pumpkin snowball cookies are airy, fluffy and delicious–the perfect pumpkin infused holiday cookie!
- 1 ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar can substitute brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup coconut oil*
- ½ tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 egg yolk whisked
- 2 tbsp crushed walnut pieces optional
- to coat after baking
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar optional
- 1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 300° F, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine almond flour, coconut flour, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon. Mix together.
- Add coconut oil, egg yolk, and pumpkin puree. Combine thoroughly and add in optional walnut pieces and stir in.
- Roll a tablespoon size of dough into balls and place on cookie sheet in rows. Bake cookies in oven for 22 to minutes. The bottom of the cookies will be golden brown.
- While cookies are still warm, dab them into the powered sugar, not covering completely, just “dusting”.
- Sprinkle additional pumpkin pie spice on top and enjoy!
*Can substitute butter