Delicious savory and sweet turmeric coconut basmati rice bowls made with roasted chickpeas, greens, grapes, pickled red onions and roasted chicken. It’s a power bowl bursting with color and flavor that’s sure to brighten up your palate.
I love a good rice bowl with different veggies, chicken or fish and greens and this one filled with color thanks to yellow turmeric coconut basmati rice and pink pickled red onion is perfect for spring!
The creamy rice, crunchy chickpeas, sweet grapes and onions come together in a super flavorful way that is really satisfying thanks to all the different textures.
It’s also packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber and whole grains thanks to the U.S.- grown basmati rice. Rice is the most popular grain globally and the primary dietary staple for more than half the world’s population.
This tiny but mighty U.S.-grown grain is nutrient-rich, supplying energy, complex carbohydrates, protein, fiber, beneficial antioxidants and more than 15 vitamins and minerals including, folate, B vitamins, potassium, magnesium, selenium, fiber, iron, and zinc.
Basmati rice has a very distinct smell that many describe as being similar to popcorn when it’s cooked. One fun fact is that the word “basmati” in Hindi means “full of aroma” or “fragrant.” Cooked in coconut milk and seasoned with turmeric in this recipe, I’d say full of aroma is right!
Basmati rice is in Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas.
Fun fact: whatever you add turmeric too, you want to make sure you also add black pepper. Black pepper helps turmeric to be better absorbed by the body — they’re a nutrition power couple!
Is all rice gluten free?
Yes, rice is naturally gluten-free, highly digestible and the least allergenic of all grains. It’s a great option for people with Celiac disease or who choose to follow a gluten free diet.
Ingredients for Turmeric Coconut Basmati Rice Bowl
- U.S grown basmati rice
- coconut milk
- salt and pepper
- fresh garlic
- chickpeas aka garbanzo beans
- pickled red onion
- feta cheese
- chicken (optional)
Turmeric Coconut Basmati Rice Bowl
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. garlic power
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup U.S. grown basmati rice
- 1 ¼ cup water
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 ½ cups greens
- ½ cup red seedless grapes washed and halved
- ½ cup pickled or raw red onion
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 servings cooked chicken optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Drain the can of chickpeas and dry them off with a paper towel. Spread them on a baking sheet and season with olive oil, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While the chickpeas roast make the coconut turmeric rice. In a medium-sized pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and the minced garlic, cooking until fragrant. Add the rinsed basmati rice, cooking for about a minute by itself before adding turmeric, black pepper and salt and then the water and coconut milk.
- Stir everything together until combined and bring to a boil before reducing to low heat. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is creamy and plump.
- Assemble the bowls with a base of greens topped with coconut turmeric basmati rice, crispy chickpeas, halved grapes, pickled red onion, feta. Add cooked or rotisserie style chicken if desired or leave off for a plant-based version. These bowls are also delicious with a big dollop of hummus on top! Enjoy!
The blog post is in partnership with the US Rice Federation. All opinions are my own and I’m proud to partner with brands and organizations that share my mission of making healthy food more accessible to everyone.
more rice recipes you’re sure to love
pin this recipe for later!