Savory pumpkin & spinach oat cakes are a delicious savory way to use oats. Combining oats, pumpkin puree, and spinach along with savory spices for a plant-based burger like patty that can be eaten as is, on top of a salad or even in a bun with toppings!
If you’re following along on Instagram, then you know this week is oat week where I’m sharing all different types of oat recipes!
I’ve been especially excited to share this savory oat recipes for pumpkin oat cakes because it’s such a different, and unexpected way to use oats that’s super delicious too! Sure I love oats in baked goods and for breakfast, but pairing them with savory spices in a patty like this makes for a great plant-based, burger-like option.
Perfect on top of salads or eaten like a patty in a bun, these pumpkin spinach oat cakes with turmeric pack lots of flavor and good nutrition thanks to oats, spinach and pumpkin puree! As you know I love using pumpkin in both sweet and savory ways!
Turmeric contains powerful anti-inflammatory properties. I totally get that not everyone loves the taste, which is why I recommend adding it to recipes like this one, or sauces and salad dressing where the taste is very subtle and you’re still getting those benefits!
Oats have a relatively unique nutrition profile compared to other whole grains providing a combination of both soluble and insoluble fiber – a ½ cup serving of raw oats has 4 grams of fiber which may help support healthy digestion.
ingredients for savory pumpkin & spinach oat cakes
old-fashioned oats – I recommend using Quaker Old-Fashioned Oats
These oat cakes are delicious dipped into a dressing or a sauce (88 Acres southwest turmeric dressing is pictured), placed on top of a salad or grain bowl, or you could even place them in a bun with toppings and eat them like a burger.
Another savory oat cake recipe you don’t want to miss? This turmeric salmon oat cakes!
Pumpkin & Spinach Oat Cakes
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 cup Quaker Old- Fashioned Oats
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup spinach
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oat flour, oats, ground mustard, garlic powder, turmeric, black pepper and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg, pumpkin puree, lemon juice. Combine the egg mixture with the oat mixture and mix together.
- Heat a saucepan over low heat add 1 tsp. olive oil and sauté the spinach until lightly wilted. Remove from heat and fold the spinach into the oat mixture.
- Pack the oat mixture into a 1/3 cup measuring cup. Heat a sauté pan on medium-low heat and add the remaining olive oil. Scoop the patty out of the 1/3 cup measuring cup and onto the pan to heat, flipping so that both sides get golden brown.
- Remove from heat, and enjoy!
more oat recipes you’re sure to love
- pumpkin apple baked oatmeal
- cookie dough collagen overnight oats
- pumpkin zucchini oatmeal cups
- soft pumpkin oatmeal cookies with maple glaze
pin this recipe for later