Perfect for a quick and simple weeknight meal, these chicken lettuce wraps with cauliflower and carrots are flavorful and provide extra nutrition!
One of my favorite things to get at California Pizza Kitchen is there chicken lettuce wraps. They’re a great sharable plate, but they are missing something that are super easy to add….VEGGIES!
This recipe for chicken lettuce wraps with cauliflower and carrots packs extra nutrition because cauliflower and carrots are mixed right in with the chicken in the lettuce cup. Peppers would be great mixed in too!
I also opted for butter lettuce vs. head a head of lettuce to add more nutrition to this recipe. The darker the leaves of your greens, the more nutrition they contain!
I love remaking restaurant dishes at home in a healthier way and these chicken lettuce wraps with more veggies than the original is a great example of that! You could say I have a thing for using veggies as a vehicle for more nutrition–just take a look at this recipe for a ‘”pepperwich” also known as a sandwich that uses peppers as the bun!
These chicken lettuce wraps are quick and easy to make–perfect for a weeknight meal that the whole family can enjoy.
Restaurants also over do it on the salt with their chicken lettuce wraps. I was mindful of the amount of salt I was adding to this recipe and alway opt for low sodium sauces and condiments when available. They are one of the sneakiest and biggest sources of sodium in the diet.
For this veggie forward lettuce wrap recipe you will need:
- ground lean chicken
- head of lettuce or 6-10 baby butter lettuce leaves
- no soy less sodium soy free sauce (can sub for low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos)
- shredded carrot
- unsweetened peanut butter
- rice wine vinegar
- hoisen sauce
- red chili paste
- sesame seeds
Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Cauliflower and Carrot
- 1 lb lean ground chicken
- 1 head of lettuce or baby butter lettuce leaves
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup no soy soy sauce or any other low sodium or soy-free alternative
- 1 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp. chili paste more if you want it spicer
- splash of rice wine vinegar
- optional toppings: cashews micro greens, sriracha, chopped green onion and black and white sesame seeds
For the peanut sauce:
- 1 tbsp. creamy unsweetened peanut butter
- 1 tbsp. no soy soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar may need more if mixture is to thick or a splash of lime to balance the flavors
- 1. In a medium skillet, brown chicken, breaking it up until you have a ground chicken texture. Add chili paste, no soy soy sauce, and hoisin sauce. Mix together and coat the chicken in the sauces.
- 2. Finely chop cauliflower or rice in a food processor. Add to chicken mixture and mix until combined and you can't really tell what is the chicken and what is the cauliflower. Add a splash of rice wine vinegar and mix together.
- 3. Still in the shredded carrots and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup to each piece of lettuce depending on how big it is.
- 4. To make the peanut sauce, heat the peanut butter in a small dish in the microwave for 12 seconds. Remove from microwave and add the no soy sauce and rice vinegar. Mix until you get a sauce consistency and add more rice wine vinegar. water or the squeeze of a lime to thin it out and balance the flavors.
- 5. Top lettuce cups with sesame seeds, greens onion, cashews, micro greens, sriracha, and or peanut sauce and enjoy!
If you like this recipe, I know you will like this one for zucchini enchiladas with a pumpkin enchilada sauce and this one for zucchini noodle stuffed peppers with turkey.