This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Jewel-Osco. All opinions are 100% my own. I’m proud to partner with brands and organizations that share my mission of making healthy food more accessible to everyone.
Grab your picnic blanket and take dinner or happy hour outdoors this fall for a fun change of scenery with my tips for a healthy and fun picnic! It’s a is a charming way to enjoy a change of scenery, get some fresh air, and good food, and enjoy the weather before it turns to cold.
I don’t know about where you live but the picnic scene here in Chicago has been hopping ever since the summer started since it’s one of the only socially distant outdoor activities we can do.
But I have to say I’m actually loving the resurgence of charming picnics because it’s a great way to enjoy some fresh air, celebrate the season and nibble on fun finger foods outdoors!
I’m excited to share some of my tips for a healthy and fun fall picnic and thankful that Jewel-Osco is my one stop shop when it comes to picking up food and drinks for a picnic, or any occasion for that matter!
I feel good knowing that they strive for the highest quality and value possible with their wide variety of exclusive O Organics® and Open Nature® products that are carefully crafted without artificial ingredients, or additives, and minimally processed. All O Organics® products are USDA certified organic too.
I used three products found exclusively at Jewel-Osco for my latest picnic: O Organics® Nut Trio, Open Nature® Assorted Compostable Cutlery, and Open Nature® Compostable Bowls. Check out this recipe for almond butter carrot breakfast muffins made with products from Jewel-Osco too!
Tips for a Healthy & Fun Picnic
- Pick a theme. Pack food & drinks based on one of these themes — they’re balanced, delicious & a little fancy!
- Mexican. Think salsa, guacamole + veggies & chips for dipping, & build your own tacos
- Meatless. Think crunchy chickpeas, pasta salad, nuts like the O Organics® Nut Trio I brought, and crudités
- Mediterranean. Think hummus, olives, grape tomatoes, & pita/pita chips
- Asian Fusion. Think edamame, satay skewers, spring rolls, & California rolls
Picking a theme also makes grocery shopping that much easier too. It’s a breeze knowing I can find all of the things I would need for any of these themes with just one trip to Jewel-Osco!
- Have fun with it. Enjoying a change of scenery while eating is good once in a while! Take it in and enjoy the fresh air. If you’re attending an outdoor picnic, offer to bring something you like to eat and portion food on a plate vs. eating right out of the container to taste a little bit of everything while still feeling good.
- Snag some shade. When searching for the perfect spot, look for a place under a tree, in the shade, or bring your own shade by packing an umbrella. This will help keep both you and your food cooler, provide some protection from UV rays, and be more comfortable for a happy hour or dinner!
- Opt for compostable utensils. I brought Open Nature® Assorted Compostable Cutlery, and Open Nature® Compostable Bowls, to my latest picnic and they were perfect for everything that I needed, plus better for the environment. That’s a win, win!
I buy my O Organics® and Open Nature® products at my local Jewel-Osco stores, and you can also find them exclusively at the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Shaw’s, Star Market, United Supermarkets and Carrs/Safeway.
Visit jewelosco.com to find a store near you and discover meal prep tips and recipe ideas.
More picnic-friendly recipes