Take canned salmon up a notch with these easy turmeric oat salmon cakes! These high in protein cakes, are perfect to throw on a salad, or dip into hummus. The turmeric adds a dose of spicy heat plus numerous health benefits!
- 1 can salmon (opt for boneless sockeye if possible) I like this brand
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. turmeric*
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 tbsp. your favorite hummus
- Place oats in a food processor. Pulse until ground, about 10 seconds. Transfer to a bowl. Add egg, salmon, mustard, 2 teaspoons lemon rind, salt, pepper, turmeric, and garlic powder.
- Mix to combine.
- Fill a 1/3-cup dry measuring cup with salmon mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Add salmon cakes to pan by patting the mixture out of the measuring cup as you flip it over.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side, until bottoms are golden.
- Arrange arugula on a plate. Drizzle with squeezed lemon juice. Place salmon cakes over arugula. Add hummus and enjoy!
*Don’t forget the black pepper! Black pepper helps to increase absorption of turmeric! If you don’t have oats, feel free to substitute regular flour, brown rice flour or gluten free flour.