Creamy white wine pumpkin pasta sauce is a silky-smooth pumpkin based pasta sauce made without cream. Made easily in the blender with pumpkin puree, white wine, sage and parmesan cheese — it covers noodles in the creamy, delicious taste of fall!
There’s nothing more cozy on a chilly fall night than a bowl of pumpkin pasta. If you’re a pumpkin lover like me, I know you’ll agree pumpkin sauce for pasta is quintessential fall!
My recipe for white wine pumpkin pasta sauce is smooth and creamy and covers every ridge of noodles in warm fall flavor. You can also feel good knowing you’re getting extra nutrition in every bite thanks to how nutritious pumpkin puree is. It’s packed with vitamin A, C, E as well as potassium and fiber.
What You Will Need for this White Wine Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- Penne Pasta or your favorite pasta — I really like pairing this sauce with penne pasta. However most any noodle will work. Bucatini would be another great pasta to use here or rigatoni. Opt for a gluten free version if desired.
Main Sauce Ingredients
- Pumpkin Puree — Get out of your can of pumpkin puree because it’s the star of the show in this white wine pumpkin pasta sauce!
- White Wine — I used a sauvignon blanc wine that I had on hand for this recipe. Most any dry white wine will do and it burns off while cooking so you don’t have to worry about it tasting too much like wine or anything like that. It helps to add brightness to this pasta sauce.
- Vegetable Broth — Vegetable broth is a pantry staple of mine for soups and so much more. Here it will help to thin out the pumpkin making it into a sauce.
- Pasta Water — Pasta water is the not-so-secret ingredient in this pasta sauce recipe that marries the sauce to the noodles.Don’t forget to reserve some when draining the pasta water.
- Parmesan Cheese — Parmesan gives this sauce a little nutty flavor and contributes to how creamy it is. For a dairy-free option omit or substitute nutritional yeast.
- Olive Oil — You will sauté the garlic and shallot in olive oil at the beginning of this recipe.
- Fresh Sage — The flavors of sage and pumpkin really go together so well and sage gives this pasta sauce a nice warm undertone.
- Garlic — A staple in most all sauces, fresh garlic is part of the aromatic base of this pasta sauce.
- Shallot — Shallots are a cross between an onion and garlic and I find that they go really well with pumpkin flavors in savory dishes.
- Salt & Pepper — A little bit goes a long way with these. Add them to taste based on your flavor preferences.
- Cinnamon — Just a dash is going to bring out the warm fall flavors!
- Fresh Parsley — this is optional if you want to sprinkle some on top for a nice pop of color!
equipment / utensils:
- large pot
- wooden spoon
- large saucepan
Tips for This Pumpkin Pasta Sauce Recipe
Making this recipe is easy and it comes together pretty quickly in one large sauce pan. You will sautée, stir together, and simmer the ingredients. Then blend the sauce in a blender to make it extra smooth and creamy.
One very important step to note is reserving some pasta water when your noodles are done cooking. Pasta water is the secret sauce that’s going to help marry the noodles to the pumpkin sauce. It also ensures every ridge of the noodle is covered in sauce — yum!
Benefit of Including White Wine
The wine wine in this pumpkin pasta sauce brightens up the sauce flavor-wise. The alcohol will burn off while cooking, meaning it will evaporate.
Overall, one of the best ways I can describe this sauce is that it tastes like fall! I’m so excited for you to make it! I hope it will be a pumpkin recipe you come back to every autumn.
What Goes Well With Pumpkin Pasta Sauce?
This recipe is the kind that keeps on giving! If you want to add a boost of protein, pair it with my delicious pumpkin meatballs. Plus, you can even serve the meatballs and pasta sauce as an appetizer and omit the pasta!
White Wine Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- 1 large pot
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 colander
- 1 large saucepan
- 1 blender
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese + more for sprinkling on top gated
- 2 tsp. salt
- dash of cinnamon
- 1/2 – 1 cup reserved pasta water
- fresh parsley optional
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil and cook the noodles according to the package instructions for al dente noodles.
- RESERVE 2 cups of the pasta water once the noodles are done cooking.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, heat the olive oil and add minced garlic and shallot until fragrant. Add the sage and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Pour in the white wine and let it simmer and evaporate for 2-3 minutes. Then add in the pumpkin and vegetable broth stirring until everything is well combined and a thick sauce starts to form. Add salt, pepper and dash of cinnamon.
- Transfer the sauce to a blender and blend on high until super smooth and creamy.
- Add the noodles to your saucepan and pour the sauce on top. Stir together and then add in 1/2 up pasta water stirring so that everything is well combined. If you find your sauce is still very thick, add in a little more pasta water at a time.
- Top with fresh parsley, more parmesan cheese, freshly cracked black pepper and enjoy immediately!
More Savory Pumpkin Pasta Recipes You’re Sure to Love
- Pumpkin Cacio e Pepe
- Pumpkin White Wine Orzo with Chicken
- Pumpkin and Spinach Risotto with Seared Scallops
Pin this recipe for later!