Stuffed pepper taco boats made with Wild Wonders ® Peppers are fresh, flavorful and make for a nutritious and fun weeknight dinner.
All the fun flavors of a traditional taco stuffed into a pepper? Sign me up! This fun, veggie-forward taco stuffed pepper recipe is sure to be a new weeknight favorite! It’s easy to make in less than 30 minutes, and well balanced with protein and fiber for more staying power in every bite.
I’m sure you’ve heard it’s important to add more color to your plate for nutrition, well these taco pepper boats do just that as they’re bursting with color and flavor!
Another reason to add more veggies to your meals? Gut health. Studies show that eating a variety of plant foods (upwards of 30 different kinds of plant foods a week to be specific) is beneficial for our gut.
Sunset® Wild Wonders® Peppers
This bright mix of red, yellow, orange and chocolate-colored peppers are way sweeter than bell peppers, and have no bitter aftertaste. I love how versatile they are — stuff ‘em or slice ‘em, you’ll step up any dish by adding these peppers into the mix. One of my other favorite ways to use them is this recipe for Mediterranean orzo stuffed peppers.
I also always have a container of Sunset® Wild Wonders® tomatoes for adding to salads, pasta, dips, or just snacking on with hummus. I love how colorful and flavorful they are and that all of Sunset’s products are Non-GMO Project Verified. This means they are developed the old-fashioned way, through natural plant breeding without any additives. Don’t miss my other recipes made with Sunset® produce linked below!
Ingredients for Stuffed Pepper Taco Boats
- Sunset® Wild Wonders® Peppers
- Ground chicken
- Chili powder
- Dried oregano
- Salt & pepper
- Canned tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Fresh cilantro
Equipment / utensils:
- Saute pan
- Cutting board
Wild Wonders® Stuffed Pepper Taco Boats
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 small jalapeno diced (optional for more heat)
- 1 package Wild Wonders® Peppers
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a sauté pan heat the olive oil, minced garlic and diced onion until fragrant being careful not to burn.
- Add the ground chicken and use a wooden spoon to break it up into smaller pieces while it browns. Once mostly brown add in the spice, canned tomatoes and diced jalapeno if desired. Stir together.
- Remove from heat and set aside. Slice each pepper lengthwise removing the seeds.
- Spoon the chicken taco mixture into each pepper shell. Top with cheese and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for approximately 10 minutes until peppers are softened.
- Remove from the oven and top each pepper with shredded lettuce along with sliced or diced avocado, fresh salsa and cilantro. Enjoy!
More Recipes with Sunset Produce You’re Sure to Love
- Blistered Shishito Peppers with Herby Yogurt
- Wild Wonders Stuffed with Mediterranean Orzo
- Tomato White Bean Salad
- Greek Baked Feta Pasta
Pin this recipe for later