Fall Avgolemono Soup
Soup season is upon us and for nights where there is just starting to be a slight chill in the air, this fall avgolomono soup (aka egg lemon soup in greek!) is perfectly hearty, delicious, and nutritious!
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 cups white rice wild rice or chickpea rice, cooked
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup cooked rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1 1/2 cup butternut squash cooked and cubed
- 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms washed and sliced
- 2 cups kale rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large saucepan, season the stock with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
Transfer 1 cup of hot stock to a blender.
Add 1/2 cup of the cooked rice, egg yolks and the lemon juice and puree until smooth.
Stir the puree into the simmering stock along with the chicken and the remaining 1 1/2 cups of rice, cooked butternut squash, mushrooms and kale and simmer until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
Add to bowls and top with an extra squeeze or two of lemon juice and fresh ground black pepper.